Need all the support I can get!

Hi everyone,

My name is Leah and I'm a 22 year old medical student who's gained about 40 pounds over the past 4.5 years. I like to joke that with every degree I manage to get, I gain another 30 pounds. So far, I'm on that path. Just started medical school in August and I've already gained 10 pounds. Would love to hear from some other busy people about how to make time for exercising/cooking and not feel burnt out! I really need to make a change before this gets any worse. Went to the doc today and my BP is up. HELP! How the heck do I lose weight and make it stick???

Replies

• theycallmearth
    theycallmearth Posts: 196 Member
    For me, I make time for exercising and cooking by making sure it is one my highest priorities. For example, exercise comes before leisure, even if that means getting up an hour early for the sole purpose of making time for exercise. I hope this helps and good luck to you. Also, you're welcome to add me if you want.
  • Wii_Player
    Wii_Player Posts: 2,454 Member
    Well, I have the same issue with cooking, so the days I work and have limited time, I take simple things like protein bars, cereal, milk, almonds, rice cakes, cut up veggies, fruits, cheese, boiled eggs. Many do not like protein bars over fresh meat but if that keeps me on plan, heck, I am going for the protein bars. I exercise mostly on my days off and Friday nights. I have no excuse when I have the whole day off. I am off Saturday, Sunday and Monday, so that gives me 4 times per week of exercise. I often workout for 60 minutes and even 90 minutes to make up for the 3 days I do not exercise. I make it as much fun as possible with my favorite music blasting, for example.

You can do this!
  • bluepoppies777
    bluepoppies777 Posts: 438 Member
    Hi! You can add me and we can motivate each other. I get up at 5:30am some days and go to the gym to save time later in the day. You have to make yourself and your health a priority if you want to succeed.
  • leahfit77
    leahfit77 Posts: 18 Member
    Yep I need to make my health a priority!! I tend to put school before anything else just because of how intense it is (40 hours a week of class/lab and then studying everything, doing clinical research) but what good is it if I'm gaining all this weight every year?? If I want to tell my patients to be healthy some day I need to lead by example. Everyone is busy and I need to make time for this journey to healthy!
  • traparsons7
    traparsons7 Posts: 2 Member
    I multitask. I have a gym grade exercise bike with built-in computer programs. I ride while I read/study/talk on the phone /type notes in my pad. I cook pots of food ie; vegetable soup/Zucchini marinara /vegetable lasagna /whatever. Then I separate into portions and freeze. One day of cooking and I'm set for 30+ days of meals. I also utilize my 'down' time. If I'm going to watch the news or a movie I bring everything I need into the living room with me and chop/dice/slice my cucumbers and multicolored peppers for my salads for the week and put them in containers in the fridge. When I make my salad at lunch I literally throw it together in no time. Good luck! :)
  • only4succes
    only4succes Posts: 1 Member
    edited December 2015
    Helo; My name is Alma. I'm a mother of 3 children, live in NY. I'm jest staring today. My goal is to loose 30 pounds. I'm new in this high tech fitness. Hope it works for me and my son. Want to do it for him as well, He is overweight and have fatty liver issue.