what to eat after workout???

Options
i started working out a month ago. i am lifting weights and doing cardio. the thing is i usually workout in the evenings around 4 hours before i go to bed. since i am on a low-carb diet i am not sure what to eat after workout! i am usually drinking a protein shake and eat about half a wholemeal pita. is that enough??

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I usually ride at lunch and eat my lunch meal afterwards at my desk. I lift in the evenings a couple nights per week and usually have a protein shake and an apple afterwards and then dinner around 8:30
  • adriennemarieb
    adriennemarieb Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    25g protein and 30%+ of daily amount of carbs. You need to replenish your glycogen stores in your muscles for them to retain their strength. I suggest reading Thinner, Leaner, Stronger. That book tells you everything you need to know about your diet, when to eat regarding your workouts, etc.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Anything you choose, whenever you choose. There's no need to be chugging protein shakes immediately after workouts, but, if that's what you like and it promotes dietary adherence, go for it.

There are no set rules on what and when to eat.
    Hit your calorie and macronutritional goals over the day and you're golden.

Peri workout nutrition is only important to super elite level competitors, and them only.
  • sawsanib88
    sawsanib88 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    25g protein and 30%+ of daily amount of carbs. You need to replenish your glycogen stores in your muscles for them to retain their strength. I suggest reading Thinner, Leaner, Stronger. That book tells you everything you need to know about your diet, when to eat regarding your workouts, etc.

thanks i will look for the book.
  • DiIDE
    DiIDE Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    A book by Nancy Clark "Sports nutrition guide" has lots of great info for active people. I got it out of my local library and have just ordered it online, it should be here today. Only $25.50 Australian dollars will be cheaper in the U.S. As it is a U.S. Book.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry, and my workouts really don't have any influence about my diet. Unless you're an athlete, I don't think those 'pre-workout' or 'post-workout' meals are necessary at all.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Why won't your body just refill glycogen off of carbs the next day if you don't eat 30%+ post workout?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

No this is not needed. Maybe for a high level athlete after a hard workout. For the rest of us sports nutrition meal timing is just a way to sell books. Just eat to finish off your daily calories and macros.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I would also add and agree with other posters that really, getting appropriate nutrition throughout the day and on a consistent basis is far more important than anything you do pre or post workout.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I would also add and agree with other posters that really, getting appropriate nutrition throughout the day and on a consistent basis is far more important than anything you do pre or post workout.

Agree.

There's far too much woo about eating before/during/after exercise which is almost irrelevant for 99% of people.
    Keep it simple - train hard, eat a healthy diet that you enjoy.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Agree.

There's far too much woo about eating before/during/after exercise which is almost irrelevant for 99% of people.
    Keep it simple - train hard, eat a healthy diet that you enjoy.

^^^
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Sweet Potato is great source of slow-digesting post workout carbs! :)
  • sawsanib88
    sawsanib88 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you sooooo much for your answers. Actually yeah whenever i search online everyone is talking about pre and post workout meals and thats what got me cobfused!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I usually eat dinner at that time. :wink:

No need to worry about planning pre or post protein/carbs/fat/etc. just eat what falls into your calorie goal and keeps you satisfied.
  • roadtolean96
    roadtolean96 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ive been Working out for a While Now and truly You should just be Drinking you Protein shakes as you have been and If ur looking for a Snack/Meal After the workout( atleast 2 hours before bed) I always Eat a Good protein source such as Chicken Baked and Vegetables (No Fruits Though most are high in Carbs)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Ive been Working out for a While Now and truly You should just be Drinking you Protein shakes as you have been and If ur looking for a Snack/Meal After the workout( atleast 2 hours before bed) I always Eat a Good protein source such as Chicken Baked and Vegetables (No Fruits Though most are high in Carbs)

I'm sorry, but can you provide information on why you are making this suggestion? It doesn't seem based on fact.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    sawsanib88 wrote: »
    Thank you sooooo much for your answers. Actually yeah whenever i search online everyone is talking about pre and post workout meals and thats what got me cobfused!

It's about Pareto efficiency. 10-20% of effort will get you 80-90% of the results, while the last 10-20% of results require 80-90% effort.
    Until you're on pro or semi-pro athlete level, your main concern should be consistency. If eating at a certain time makes you more likely to work out, do it. If eating a certain time means you don't feel like working out and are likely to skip, don't do it. For the beginner consistency trumps any other consideration.