Weight watchers?

Options
13»

Replies

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I think that if people like the accountability and support of the meetings but don't want to count points, a better (and much cheaper) option would be to check out TOPS. Their meetings are only $5 a month plus a $20 yearly fee.

I did WW a few years ago and while the program helped me drop 20 pounds in 6 months, the meeting topics were getting too ridiculous to sit through, especially since they stayed with one theme for a month. Add to that the stress of figuring out a goal weight that both me and WW would be happy with (I didn't have insurance at the time and I didn't want to go pay out of pocket just for a dr's note) and stressing over points it just wasn't worth it anymore. I figured the money I was paying for meetings would be better used on a gym membership.
  • gooz71
    gooz71 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm seriously thinking about joining weight watchers. Has anyone had any luck with there diet plan? Thanks in advance!
    I am a current WW member. The new program is called "smart points" and IMO it's now "low carb" which isn't sustainable to me. They lowered the points allowed each day and have raised the points on most foods unless it's lean protein and/or very low in sugar. For example, a bowl of oatmeal that used to be 4 points, is now 7. I totally get that they are trying to get people to eat healthier, but what I liked about WW before was you could have what you want and still lose weight. Now they are pretty much forcing you to eat low carb so it's much harder to adhere to (for me).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    gooz71 wrote: »
    I'm seriously thinking about joining weight watchers. Has anyone had any luck with there diet plan? Thanks in advance!
    I am a current WW member. The new program is called "smart points" and IMO it's now "low carb" which isn't sustainable to me. They lowered the points allowed each day and have raised the points on most foods unless it's lean protein and/or very low in sugar. For example, a bowl of oatmeal that used to be 4 points, is now 7. I totally get that they are trying to get people to eat healthier, but what I liked about WW before was you could have what you want and still lose weight. Now they are pretty much forcing you to eat low carb so it's much harder to adhere to (for me).

Hmm. This site says oatmeal went from 4 to 5 points.
    http://simple-nourished-living.com/2015/12/weight-watchers-launches-new-smartpoints-beyond-scale-program/
  • tashigolean115
    tashigolean115 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It's not low carb. Low carb is high fat which Smart Points is not. Smart Points is trying to steer people towards a more whole foods and grains approach. If you do the simply filling version of Smart Points where you eat from a list of free foods and only count point for non included items, you get whole wheat or gluten free pasta ( only low in sugar brands, brown and wild rice, sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, cereals with low sugar, etc. Definitely not low carb.
  • Usa9872001
    Usa9872001 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Lost 109 pounds on one of the older plans and quit going to meetings when they changed the plan to not take calories into consideration and when they were okay with all that fake fiber. I just rejoined, because after reading about the new Smart Points, it actually makes much more sense nutritionally to me. Eat more lean protein, sprinkle in some healthy fats and carbs.... and eat less sugar and saturated fat. I am a sugar junkie and this is exactly what I need.
  • riceflourde
    riceflourde Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Usa9872001 wrote: »
    Lost 109 pounds on one of the older plans and quit going to meetings when they changed the plan to not take calories into consideration and when they were okay with all that fake fiber. I just rejoined, because after reading about the new Smart Points, it actually makes much more sense nutritionally to me. Eat more lean protein, sprinkle in some healthy fats and carbs.... and eat less sugar and saturated fat. I am a sugar junkie and this is exactly what I need.

I joined with the old plan too that counted calories fat and fiber ? it was a slider scale. The orientation meeting was very good back then, she told us about turkey deli meat, stir fry frozen vegetables, whole wheat pita, very practical ideas that I actually taught you how to shop. The pamphlets seemed better too.
  • foreverfitforeverstrong60
    Options
    I started weight watchers recently and am down weight. It's only 19 a month but they have 3 month plans too. So I signed up for the 3 months to save money and honestly I'm not liking it a ton. I like to see my nutritional facts and with MFP I see my results quicker. So I'm not sure I'll stick with weight watchers. I love this app though (MFP) it works a lot better :)
  • peacekeace
    peacekeace Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi. I know I'm kind of late to this conversation, but I just wanted to share my thoughts/experience. When I first started losing weight, I was a broke college student and relied strictly on the *free* features of MFP...and I lost about 15 pounds over 5 weeks during the summer. (3 pounds a week? I was a VERY happy camper). But then I started seeing all the WW commercials with Jennifer Hudson and I was so motivated to be just like her. (And my doctor had recommended that I look into the program to help me manage my weight and defeat hypertension.) So, when I got a job that would provide me steady monthly income, I signed up for WW meetings..I lost 25 pounds in 5 months. (This was during WW's Points Plus days.) Even though I didn't lose AS much weight with WW as I had done with MFP, I was satisfied with the way that I felt and I had dropped a clothes size. Needless to say, graduating, and life in general, got in the "weigh," and I gained those 25 pounds back. I ended up letting my WW membership go over the summer. In August 2015, I signed up for WW again because I wasn't happy with the way that I felt or looked (and my clothes weren't fitting anymore!). I did great the first week, but the next 2 weeks I started gaining weight. I was exercising religiously so I figured that I was just gaining muscle mass. Then I decided to compare my WW points intake to my calories, and I was shocked. I was staying within my points, but MFP made me realize that some days I wasn't eating nearly enough calories and others I was eating wayyyy too many. And my diet just wasn't balanced. So I quit WW (again) and started using MFP. Then...the new WW Smart Points program was introduced in December, and I was intrigued by the idea of eating more wholesome foods, so I joined AGAIN. The first week on Smart Points I gained weight! I completely understand where WW is coming from with this new program, but I also think that the program is designed for people who already have some type of healthy habits and a healthy relationship with food. For people, like me, who are just starting out and needing to learn how to follow a plan consistently, it can be very discouraging (especially when you are choosing between two snacks, both with 100 calories and similar nutritional values but drastically different Smart Points values.) Not to mention, I too take issue with the fact that you literally have to pay for EVERYTHING with WW's name on it, from cookbooks to Smart Points calculators to reusable grocery bags....I remember the days when you could go to a trial meeting and get a free starter kit.

Now, call me crazy, but I have chosen to use MFP to track my food intake, while I continue to go to WW meetings for the accountability. I agree with other posters that the meetings can be corny, but I have learned so much about food/recipes and there's just something about having somebody else look at my weight. I mean, I've tried getting accountability buddies but it just hasn't worked for me. I do think that it is absolutely ridiculous that I'm paying $45 a month for somebody to weigh me every week, when I pay $50 a year for MFP premium. But I had to find what works for me. I want this weight off, AND I want to be comfortable in my new lifestyle. So I see the best of both worlds when I combine what I like from the two programs.
  • gerfbrady
    gerfbrady Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Same place, same time, same scales. Weekly reset. That's what I use WW for. Counting points is too much trouble