healthiest yogurt?

Options

Replies

• carrey224
    carrey224 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I like dreaming cow yogurt. They're lower in sugar. But I also buy the noosa and they have more sugar and they are delicious.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I tend to favor whole milk yogurts. They're easier on my stomach, and I find them naturally sweeter than greek yogurts. Organic Valley makes a cream top yogurt that is particularly delicious. Brown Cow also makes yummy yogurt cups, although theirs is sweetened. Redwood Hills makes a good goat milk yogurt, although it's pretty expensive ($7 a quart!). I've also tried the Tempt Hemp Greek-Style yogurts before and really liked them. I didn't like SO Delicious Coconut Milk yogurts much though. Too sugary and not thick enough.
  • healthy_hermione
    healthy_hermione Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    i couldn't stomach the taste of fage, i personally enjoy chobani way more. they're usually on sale at the grocery store, wouldn't hurt to try 1 fage and 1 chobani and see which one you like better.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am not sure how to define healthy. It is part of the reason why I asked the question. pdxwine brings up a good point that there are no chemicals in Chobani. Does that make it healthier than Fage? I have watched some documentaries on netflix about food and health. They make you think. Maybe they are just the documentaries that I watched but it seems like netflix is all about eating vegetables, real food, juicing fruits and vegetables and brings up questions about how much meat Americans are eating. One documentary makes the claim that eating meat (or a lot of meat) is directly related to developing cancer. The theme that everyone film hit on was that eating plant based food (fruits and vegetables), fresh if possible was really good for you. Americans don't eat enough plant based food and Americans eat too much processed food, too much meat, and eat entirely too much sugar. I am no dietitian and it brought up a lot more questions in my mind than I have answers.

Please be aware that a lot of those documentaries have an agenda and are cherry picking facts or ignoring studies that disagree with them. At the very least, try to do some reading on studies that present the other side.

Oh yes... especially all the ones airing on netflix now. It's about entertainment, not actually being a documentary. Also, everything is a chemical, so I will assume you mean, the one that has the least amount of artificial flavors. Personally, Chobani taste like crap. I almost feel like they changed their formula because I thought it used to taste good, now I can't stand any variation of their yogurts. Oikos was terrible and so is Wegmans. I haven't tried fage though or keifr

here are the chemicals of an apple :)

i5FL3.jpg
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    I am not sure how to define healthy. It is part of the reason why I asked the question. pdxwine brings up a good point that there are no chemicals in Chobani. Does that make it healthier than Fage? I have watched some documentaries on netflix about food and health. They make you think. Maybe they are just the documentaries that I watched but it seems like netflix is all about eating vegetables, real food, juicing fruits and vegetables and brings up questions about how much meat Americans are eating. One documentary makes the claim that eating meat (or a lot of meat) is directly related to developing cancer. The theme that everyone film hit on was that eating plant based food (fruits and vegetables), fresh if possible was really good for you. Americans don't eat enough plant based food and Americans eat too much processed food, too much meat, and eat entirely too much sugar. I am no dietitian and it brought up a lot more questions in my mind than I have answers.

Please be aware that a lot of those documentaries have an agenda and are cherry picking facts or ignoring studies that disagree with them. At the very least, try to do some reading on studies that present the other side.

Oh yes... especially all the ones airing on netflix now. It's about entertainment, not actually being a documentary. Also, everything is a chemical, so I will assume you mean, the one that has the least amount of artificial flavors. Personally, Chobani taste like crap. I almost feel like they changed their formula because I thought it used to taste good, now I can't stand any variation of their yogurts. Oikos was terrible and so is Wegmans. I haven't tried fage though or keifr

here are the chemicals of an apple :)

i5FL3.jpg

Is there a tee shirt available with this on it? Also, Chobani household here. Many options, the flipper d-o-o d-a-d-s are pretty tasty. And if licking the container is v-e-r-b-o-t-e-n then I do something terribly wrong.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I agree with above:
    Healthy is a relative term
    Everything is made of chemicals
    Documentaries on Netflix are more for entertainment and fear mongering than education.
    Chobani Flips rock.

I will also add... Noosa Yogurt is amazing, but higher cals/less protein than Chobani so I use it more for a treat than my morning staple.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    The healthiest yogurt is the freshest because the number of the beneficial probiotic bacteria tends to decline with storage. Most of the yogurt we buy here is plain and has a 1-week expiration label for regular yogurt and 2 weeks for greek. If probiotics is what you mean by healthy, make your own yogurt. You only need to buy a starter once, then just reuse the yogurt you made as a starter from then on. The process is quite easy. If you like it greek, all you have to do is strain the regular yogurt in a few layers of cheesecloth for a few hours or until it reaches your preferred consistency. To make it creamier, just use an immersion blender.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    2% or 0% you think?

I think you are overthinking it. 0% has fewer calories, some think 2% tastes better. Others find 2% or full fat (which you can rarely find for the Fage) more filling. I think the two options don't taste that different and I don't find 0% less filling, so I usually take advantage of the lower calories. On occasion I might want to increase my fat in a particular meal* (usually breakfast, if I'm not having eggs) and prefer the 2%, but for the most part the two are interchangeable to me -- so eat the one you prefer.

*It's sat fat, though -- I don't think sat fat is terrible and don't freak if I go over my limit, although I try to stay around it, but if I'm really trying to pump up my fat (something that is rarely an issue for me) I'd be more likely to go to olive oil or nuts or avocados or salmon and as for dairy fat I tend to like to save my calories/allowance for cheese vs. fat in yogurt. But that's me.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Healthy depends on the rest of your diet.
    Is your diet pretty low in fat? Then get 2% because it will probably taste better and fat doesn't make you fat.
    Are you eating yogurt to get more protein? Then choose Greek over regular yogurt because it has more protein.

"Healthy" is really hard to apply to one single food in a vacuum, without looking at how it fits into the total picture of what you eat every day.
    And water is made of chemicals - hydrogen and oxygen. Everything you eat, drink, and breathe is made of chemicals.

When it's on sale, I stock up on Fage because it tastes like dairy heaven in a cup. I used to eat Chobani, but I just don't like the way it tastes anymore. When Fage is above my budget, I usually get some version of Oikos. I do try to look for yogurts that are less than 16 grams of sugar, just because I tend to eat a lot of sweetened stuff and I just don't need it to enjoy yogurt.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I like Chobani. I do like that they use evaporated can juice (I know, it's still just sugar) rather than HCFS -- but that's the taste. I also like that they have five species of live and active cultures. But overall, it's the taste and texture for me.

One thing I did when I started buying greek yogurt was to look at the nutrition facts and compare protein vs sugar. Some companies have a lot more sugar for the amount of protein than others, and I want my yogurt to be a good source of protein with less sugar (I get plenty of sugar elsewhere, so I don't want tons in my yogurt). Of course, if you use plain/unsweetened yogurt, that is much less of an issue.
  • Troutrouter1968
    Troutrouter1968 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I like the Dannon Light & Fit Cherry.
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    Healthiest yoghurt is hard to define as each kind has its benefits - my OH likes greek 0% for the higher protein and lower fat content, I like soya yoghurts because I don't eat dairy. Used to eat goats' milk yoghurt which has a lovely tangy flavour but someone else might prefer sweeter so you have to find the one you like. I'd avoid Muller brand as they add gelatine to theirs which to my mind is a substance that doesn't belong in yoghurt (or anything), definitely shouldn't be necessary in yoghurt, but that's just my opinion.
  • dee_thurman
    dee_thurman Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I like the post about not wanting to eat gelatine. What is wrong with gelatin and why shouldn't I eat it? I also have heard that aspartame is something you should stay away from which is in diet coke. I have also heard that you should stay away from high fructose corn syrup. Is there anything else that we should be looking for in ingredients to limit or cut out of our diet? Or should I try to start a different thread with this question?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I like the post about not wanting to eat gelatine. What is wrong with gelatin and why shouldn't I eat it? I also have heard that aspartame is something you should stay away from which is in diet coke. I have also heard that you should stay away from high fructose corn syrup. Is there anything else that we should be looking for in ingredients to limit or cut out of our diet? Or should I try to start a different thread with this question?

I don't think you need to start another thread - because I can tell you now that the only foods you need to stay away from are those which you have a medical reason to restrict, those which you are allergic to, those which are rotten, and those which you don't like.

Here is a helpful thread about aspartame, and there are others in the Most Helpful Posts threads at the top of each section which would answer a lot of your questions about how to be successful using MFP.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    Glad you liked my post. As I said, I'd (as in me personally) avoid it because I don't think yoghurt needs anything added to thicken it but, also as I said, that's my opinion. Did I say YOU shouldn't eat it? Don't think so. :)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I avoid yoghurt with carrageenan because it bothers my GI system but if your body is OK with it go ahead and eat it
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    mathjulz wrote: »
    I like Chobani. I do like that they use evaporated can juice (I know, it's still just sugar) rather than HCFS -- but that's the taste. I also like that they have five species of live and active cultures. But overall, it's the taste and texture for me.

One thing I did when I started buying greek yogurt was to look at the nutrition facts and compare protein vs sugar. Some companies have a lot more sugar for the amount of protein than others, and I want my yogurt to be a good source of protein with less sugar (I get plenty of sugar elsewhere, so I don't want tons in my yogurt). Of course, if you use plain/unsweetened yogurt, that is much less of an issue.

I recall standing in the aisle reading the various labels. Protein seemed to be important to me and then there was taste. Also, the variety of Chobani keeps me coming back for more.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

Nothing wrong with any of those things from a scientific standpoint. But its personal preference if you dont want to eat them.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Peake yogurt.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I wont comment on the "healthy" thing, but here are my two favorite yogurts.

fage2percent.jpeg

Liberte-coconut.jpg