kale ???

Options
i don't know how to make it taste good. i don't like yogurt so smoothies are out i think? i tried kale chips they were awful! recipes appreciated!

Replies

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Well if you don't like it...don't eat it? Maybe try something else that's green, like spinach?

~Lyssa
  • myaminals
    myaminals Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    i know. i dont like many healthy foods this is one i don't know why but when i eat it verses other veggies i lose weight. not sure why i didnt change anything else about my day. for two days and lost half a pound both days?
  • blkandwhite77
    blkandwhite77 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Toscana soup with tons of kale! Switch out the pork sausage for turkey sausage and the whipping cream for non fat half and half. Delicious soup
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    It could be the kinds of veggies you're eating causing some bloating/water retention. It's not that you're not losing fat as long as you're accounting for the calories in those other veggies.

And you don't have to eat healthy to lose weight - just eat less overall.

Also, what you weigh today isn't a reflection of what you ate yesterday. The body is a complex machine and it often takes at least a week for any change to occur.

~Lyssa
  • myaminals
    Options
    thank you both! i will look up the soup and find out more about water retention from the veggies.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I enjoy kale in my eggs in the morning.
  • myaminals
    Options
    thank you i may try that one.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    strip out the core, chop finely, sautee with olive oil and a bit of garlic and salt
  • trekchic42
    trekchic42 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Chopped kale salad kit in a bag is good
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I juice my kale with other items so I don't have to taste it lol. I find fresh pineapple completely hides the kale taste. I use a cold press juicer so it's quick and there isn't a lot of waste. However, I find that I don't mind the flavour if I lightly stream it and mix it with pasta and a lot of browned garlic. My husband can't stand kale and these are the only ways he'll consume it.

Yeah, I also tried to make a smoothie with it and took a sip...I promptly poured the rest down the drain. Maybe it was the other stuff I put in the smoothie but all in all I couldn't get it out of my mouth quick enough lol.

That being said, if you really don't like it try something else. I've never lost weight from kale, but do enjoy all the nutrients it has, so I juice it.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Portuguese Caldo Verde: potato-kale soup with sausage. You could use a reduced fat chorizo to substitute for the linguica. Here's a recipe: http://leitesculinaria.com/7580/recipes-portuguese-kale-soup-caldo-verde.html
  • myaminals
    Options
    thank you everyone :) i am going to try all these this weekend i hope
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    If I'm eating it raw, I massage the leaves in olive oil first and let it sit for a while to break it down. If cooked, it goes into stew, soup, and chili or even kale chips.
  • MorganMoreaux
    Options
    If I'm eating it raw, I massage the leaves in olive oil first and let it sit for a while to break it down. If cooked, it goes into stew, soup, and chili or even kale chips.

Interesting - I've not heard of massaging the leaves in olive oil. Does this help to eliminate the bitterness?
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options

Interesting - I've not heard of massaging the leaves in olive oil. Does this help to eliminate the bitterness?

Yep! It makes it seriously good.
  • MorganMoreaux
    Options

Yep! It makes it seriously good.

Thx! Will have to try that tomorrow!
  • prettysoul1908
    prettysoul1908 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    It may sound weird but ... I add kale to my spaghetti sauce and cut the actual pasta serving down to like 60 calories.

Kale doesn't have a gross or strong taste imo and bulks up my recipes with a lot of volume for few calories.
  • barbh2001
    barbh2001 Posts: 29 Member
    Options

I do this too. I got the idea from arecipe on food network.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/aarti-sequeira/massaged-kale-salad-recipe.html

But I usually use a kale and quinoa recipe I found. The quinoa tones down the kale I think. It's a bit of work, because I make the dressing too, but I usually double the recipe and it keeps for awhile.

http://www.danaslatkin.com/salad-recipes/kale-quinoa-salad/
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    So many great ways to have kale. But, first and foremost: if you find it bitter blanch it.
    If you like it:
    I do a kale/spinach smoothie with water, ice, flax seed, hemp seed and then something creamy like avocado, yogurt, milk, yogurt etc and something fruity.
    I stir fry it
    I have it in salads

etc
    etc
    etc
    etc