Excercise helped at first--now it's not working at all

Options
2»

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    No one is calling you a liar or telling you that you aren't paying attention to what you eat. Most people underestimate what they eat. They've done studies, and even nutritionists who's jobs it is to track food underestimated what they were eating.

This is a good read:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/872212/youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

And this:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1
  • heatherwartanyan
    heatherwartanyan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Possibly you hit a plateau
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Possibly you hit a plateau

Sylvester-Stallone.gif
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Sometimes our body needs a new change.. A lot people don't like to discuss things such as a healthy liver and a serious healthy colon... When was the last time you had a detox?.. Even though we are all working out and eating all the right food but sometimes our body needs a detox from our liver and our colon.. These things play a major roll with our body response to what we are trying to accomplish

Rubbish. And I don't mind talking about my colon. I'd share pictures from my last colonoscopy if you want (the internal ones the doc took of my colon).

Can we get a flag for detox posts? Or an auto delete for users with less than 10 posts who submit a reply with the word "detox" in it.

OP: 1300 is too low for someone your height and especially for someone at your activity level but as others said, you probably are eating a lot more than you think.
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Layne Norton talks about how some women end up eating 1200 calories a day, doing 2 hours of cardio, and they stop losing weight or their weight goes up. According to him, it's related to metabolic adaptation with a drop of your metabolic rate. His solution which seems to have helped many of his clients are to slowly add-in calories to try increase your metabolic rate. Something like 50-100 calories a week. You will gain some fat, but you should be able to maintain weight at a much higher calorie level. At that point, you'll be able to cut out fat much easier, with a larger calorie buffer.

Also strength training helps significantly....deadlifts, squats, etc. I keep seeing the New Rules of Lifting for Women thrown around as a good program. I've done stronglifts, starting strength, juggernaut method. Good luck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3gTGLulLnI
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Sometimes our body needs a new change.. A lot people don't like to discuss things such as a healthy liver and a serious healthy colon... When was the last time you had a detox?.. Even though we are all working out and eating all the right food but sometimes our body needs a detox from our liver and our colon.. These things play a major roll with our body response to what we are trying to accomplish

OP: You do not need a detox. Ever. Your liver and kidney are enough to detoxify anything that is needed to detoxify, if any.
    As per other posters, please buy a food scale at the local supermarket and weigh every food you eat. You will be surprised.
    I was you before, I was eyeballing my food weight. I was stunned when I started using a food scale and I discovered that I was eating almost twice the calories I thought I was eating. I use the food scale now.

Good luck in your healthy journey
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Definitely need to weigh your food and make sure you track things better. Sounds like your calories are off a good bit. I would advocate lifting.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    jacklifts wrote: »
    Layne Norton talks about how some women end up eating 1200 calories a day, doing 2 hours of cardio, and they stop losing weight or their weight goes up. According to him, it's related to metabolic adaptation with a drop of your metabolic rate. His solution which seems to have helped many of his clients are to slowly add-in calories to try increase your metabolic rate. Something like 50-100 calories a week. You will gain some fat, but you should be able to maintain weight at a much higher calorie level. At that point, you'll be able to cut out fat much easier, with a larger calorie buffer.

Also strength training helps significantly....deadlifts, squats, etc. I keep seeing the New Rules of Lifting for Women thrown around as a good program. I've done stronglifts, starting strength, juggernaut method. Good luck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3gTGLulLnI

I'm thinking their weight didn't go up by 20lbs, but maybe I'm wrong. I can't watch the video right now.

In any case, don't you think it'd be smart for OP to confirm that she really is still eating 1300 cals before she starts increasing calories? I mean, she's really going to be upset if her rate of gain increases because she skipped such a simple step.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    db8483 wrote: »
    hill8570 wrote: »
    How did you get those BF measurements? For a woman, 15% is freakin' skinny unless you're rocking some serious muscle mass (which a combo of pilates / spinning and calorie deficit is not going to give you). My take on it: you weren't doing anything for muscle sparing and lost a crap-ton of muscle. After that, you let your calories slip upward (thankfully), starting doing workouts that would build muscle, and began a bulk. That all seems to be for the good -- 19% BF (which, until proven otherwise, I consider suspect) is a lot healthier and sustainable BF % than 15%.

Hi there, Are you asking how I got those numbers ? I got my BF % by using an Omron fat monitor. If those aren't reliable, let me know.

From an absolute sense, they're worthless (my gym uses the Omrons, and the trainers consider them a waste of space, but since clients love to track numbers they keep them around). They're sort of OK for tracking relative changes if all other things are equal (for example, you measure right after your get-up-in-morning potty break).

From a tracking standpoint, it sounds like both your lean muscle and fat levels have gone up during your bulk, which is pretty typical. You might want to post some pics over in the eat-train-progress group (they have a section for body fat estimation, and eyeballs that are far better calibrated than mine) to get an idea if you want to continue to bulk, go to maintenance, or do some cutting. A lot of that depends on your goals...you don't sound like a competitive athlete / powerlifter / bodybuilder / fitness model, so it kind of comes down to aesthetics (i.e., look good in clothes, look good naked, or both).