HIIT for someone whose BF is 21~22%

Options
13»

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I should probably ad, that's very illustrative. There is no way that 10*100metre sprints could be HIIT, the first 5 or 6 possibly, but not all of them.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I wished the Timmons regimen was never publicized or started in the first place. Jamie Timmons' hypothesis was/is misguided in the first place (at least applied to the general public) and his hobnob with Michael Mosley in the BBC Horizon programme in February 2012 only serves to mislead (disgusting in my book).
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    kcjchang wrote: »
    I wished the Timmons regimen was never publicized or started in the first place. Jamie Timmons' hypothesis was/is misguided in the first place (at least applied to the general public) and his hobnob with Michael Mosley in the BBC Horizon programme in February 2012 only serves to mislead (disgusting in my book).

I only recently took a look at the various regimens/protocols of the HIIT theory through the years. And I think they all have some use for slightly differing reasons. More than anything I think for me that type of stuff has put me more in touch with where my VO2 max is roughly, and how long I can exceed it and recover without serious problems.

But it does seem that the recent stuff has people convinced that not only is HIIT good, but it's so good that it's going to overcome the lesser time with a greater calorie burn.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    HIIT even 30 min will burn more calories then an hour on a treadmill. It increases your epoc.

If you're doing 30 minutes of HIIT, you're not doing HIIT.

And no... To put the calorie expenditure in context, using a sprint interval session:
    • 15 minute warm up - 1.5 miles - c 150cals
    • 10* 100metre sprint with 100 metre rest periods - c1.2 miles - c120cals
    • 15 minute cool down - 1.5 miles (unlikely as much slower after the session) - c150 cals
    • Total - 420cals (optimistically)
    • EPOC @ 8% - 33cals

Compare that with a steady state run:
    • 60 minutes easy pace - 6.5miles - 650cals
    • EPOC @ 4% - 25cals

You'll note that the actual high intensity period within the sprint session is quite a small part, so most of the calorie expenditure comes from the warm up and cool down.

As upthread, the value of a HIIT session isn't about the calorie expenditure, it's about the effect on VO2Max.

Thank you. It is funny how everyone these days, even just a few weeks after joining the gym, appears to be doing HIIT for hours ;)