Just starting out!

Options
Hey everyone! So I'm super over weight!!! By like 100ibs! I'm trying to lose a lot of weight so I can get pregnant! I walk everyday for 40-60 minutes a day. I can't run for longer then 2minutes at a time. I'm trying. But I can't. Please help! What can you recommend I do to help with weight loss. I can't workout outside because I live in Alaska and this time of year it's -10 to -50 outside! I have a treadmill, weights, and a weight bench! Please and thank yous!!! I appreciate everything! We've been trying to have a baby for 2yesrs and this is my last option!! Doctors won't help my infertility until I lose 100ibs! I'm growing more and more depressed and giving up on myself and life. Please help me

Replies

• tink562
    tink562 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Of course eat healthy food and portion control, but have you tried jump rope? That's a good work out to try alternating from the treadmill.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    To increase running stamina I would recommend couch to 5k
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    The most important thing will be your diet. I would recommend going to see a nutritionist to find out exactly what kind of diet you should have vs just basing it off this app. Then use the app to make sure you're hitting what the nutritionist says.

Exercise will only get you so far diet is the most important. Try cutting out all processed sugar in your diet. Also stay away from white breads. Whole wheat is fine though (unless you have a gluten intolerance)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    The most important thing will be your diet. I would recommend going to see a nutritionist to find out exactly what kind of diet you should have vs just basing it off this app. Then use the app to make sure you're hitting what the nutritionist says.

Exercise will only get you so far diet is the most important. Try cutting out all processed sugar in your diet. Also stay away from white breads. Whole wheat is fine though (unless you have a gluten intolerance)

Wah???? No to this...

OP, you do not have to exercise to loose weight (point #1). In addition if you want to incorporate exercise into your lifestyle in order to loose some weight but moreover have a healthier cardiovascular system, then start out slow. Fitness is not a sprint it is a marathon. Start with mini goals... such as leisure walks, then brisk walks and then maybe incorporate a short light jog during your walks... also once you start loosing some extra pounds over a period of time it gets easier... The key is consistency and discipline.. The treadmill will work just fine and maybe search the internet for certain types of activities you like to do already or even learn some new things. You can get fit doing just about anything.. there is 1 million things a person can do to be active... the key is find something you enjoy!!

You can loose weight eating the things you love... just eat smaller amounts of it... elimination diets do not work.. period..
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    the way to lose weight is to eat at a calorie deficit. if you accurate record what you eat-use a food scale when possible, and log your exercise, you will lose weight. heck, exercise isn't even necessary. just a calorie deficit. I find to do so happily I need to eat nutrient dense foods and more protien and fiber, but others only change the quantity of what they eat.
    start slow with running if you want to run/jog. I would get fitted for shoes if possible or use this tool to help and order those. they should help minimize chance of injury. there is the couch to 5k or zombie runs to help increase your running stamina.

go slow with all of this. it's hard for our bodies to adjust to new activity levels. doing too much or too fast of any exercise can lead to injury due to overuse. take rest days. either catch up on house stuff or do some yoga/pilates/etc or just relax.

I've got nothing in regards to weights but you can also try "you are your own gym" and "convict training" for body weight exercises. I'm sure you can find some help regarding weights here as well. there are lots of people who pump iron here :)
  • tillerstouch
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »

Wah???? No to this...

You can loose weight eating the things you love... just eat smaller amounts of it... elimination diets do not work.. period..[/quote]

@gia07 what is wrong with what I said? I'm not saying exercise isn't important I'm saying you diet is more important. If you're eating good foods then even walking will be beneficial. There is no good quality to processed sugars. Suagr from fruits are great for you on the other hand. Same for white bread it's not doing anything to help you, whole wheat on the other hand is great to include in your diet. If you want to seriously lose weight esp as much as 100 pounds you need to cut out all the crappy food in your diet.

Also elimination diets don't work period... hm that's an interesting claim you've made up. (I'm not saying you can't have a cheat meal)

I completely agree with you about exercise though. There have been many studies showing even just walking for 30 minutes a day (even if spread out into 3 10 minute walks) has amazing effects on your health esp. Your heart.

OP start slow with your exercise and work up to more. You could look into HIIT workouts eventually which incorporate shorts bursts of high intensity followed by low intensity but that's probably something to work towards.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    There is no good quality to processed sugars. Suagr from fruits are great for you on the other hand.

Not to nitpick, but the glucose and fructose in fruit is pretty darn similar to the glucose & fructose in table sugar. (source)

OP - a slight calorie deficit, and try to be active often. Make sure to read the sticky posts in the Diet/Weight loss forum. For strength training, try NROL4W.
    Is your infertility from PCOS?
  • tillerstouch
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

Not to nitpick, but the glucose and fructose in fruit is pretty darn similar to the glucose & fructose in table sugar. (source)

OP - a slight calorie deficit, and try to be active often. Make sure to read the sticky posts in the Diet/Weight loss forum. For strength training, try NROL4W.

Good point but fruit has vitamins fiber and lots of other good stuff vs the sugar in a candy bar or even added to coffee isn't good for you. I guess what I should say is get your sugar from natural sources like fruit rather then in other foods.
  • ashleycandos
    ashleycandos Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    There is no good quality to processed sugars. Suagr from fruits are great for you on the other hand.

Don't think so since I have regular ovulation and periods

• cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    It's all super simple. Just make sure you stick to your calorie goal. Get a gram scale and use it. If you earn calories for exercising, the general rule is to eat about half back.

I didn't have as much weight to lose, but I couldn't run to save my life either. I still can't. LOL! The dog and I did a lot of walking though. I've done couch to 5k before and it's a great way to ease into jogging....if you want to. You can still lose weight regardless what working out you may choose to do.

You can do this, and as someone whose been on the infertility train before....I wish you all the best. You'll get there too. :wink:
  • Kym1166
    Kym1166 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Put your favorite music on and start dancing you don't even feel like your exercising. zumba
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »

Wah???? No to this...

OP, you do not have to exercise to loose weight (point #1). In addition if you want to incorporate exercise into your lifestyle in order to loose some weight but moreover have a healthier cardiovascular system, then start out slow. Fitness is not a sprint it is a marathon. Start with mini goals... such as leisure walks, then brisk walks and then maybe incorporate a short light jog during your walks... also once you start loosing some extra pounds over a period of time it gets easier... The key is consistency and discipline.. The treadmill will work just fine and maybe search the internet for certain types of activities you like to do already or even learn some new things. You can get fit doing just about anything.. there is 1 million things a person can do to be active... the key is find something you enjoy!!

You can loose weight eating the things you love... just eat smaller amounts of it... elimination diets do not work.. period..

No to this! Lost 30# on elimination diets.

Op have u had ur thyroid Checked? I went threw 10 years and miscarriage of infertility. They just found out I have thyroid issues and related the years of trying and loosing to that. Now I'm older and don't want kids lol

• Cathscottage
    Cathscottage Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I can well understand your desire to have a child. Being a midwife I cannot express the overwhelming feelings people have when they have a baby. So my advice would be to keep an open mind and stay true to your goal. Use fitness pal to log your food and set your goal to losing the amount of weight you need. Keep on walking on the treadmill 30 to 40 minutes a day. Watch TV while doing it if you like. Eat three meals with protein in each meal as that helps break up the fat. Also drink 12 cups of water a day. Have lots of protein ie Greek yogurt, salmon, tuna and chicken. Also learn to love yourself no matter what size you are. The last part is the most important part. Take care and stay healthy and strong. Remember it is a journey that may take months and months not days and days. No quick fix.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! So I'm super over weight!!! By like 100ibs! I'm trying to lose a lot of weight so I can get pregnant! I walk everyday for 40-60 minutes a day. I can't run for longer then 2minutes at a time. I'm trying. But I can't. Please help! What can you recommend I do to help with weight loss. I can't workout outside because I live in Alaska and this time of year it's -10 to -50 outside! I have a treadmill, weights, and a weight bench! Please and thank yous!!! I appreciate everything! We've been trying to have a baby for 2yesrs and this is my last option!! Doctors won't help my infertility until I lose 100ibs! I'm growing more and more depressed and giving up on myself and life. Please help me

You're doing great with your walking! That's terrific!

I could only run 500 metres 10 weeks ago. I used the Couch to 5K program (Zen Labs app) to gradually build up my endurance and today I ran the full 5 km!

You can do this too!

Also, note, that exercise is not essential to lose weight, but it lets you eat more.

Log and weigh all your food portions, and don't over-restrict yourself. Eat the foods you love within your calorie limit.

Eat back 50-75% of your exercise calories. I recommend a step counter linked to MFP. I like Fitbit Charge HR, or I've used the Apple Health app.

Good luck!