Speaking of flower

Options
banks1850
banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
Err, meant Flour there, sorry for that. Duh!

Sorry I just read the corn post. Did any of you see what the chef substituted flower with on TBL last night? Chick Pea Flower! That sounds GREAT! I gotta check that out on calorieking and see what I can use it for!

Replies

• banks1850
    Options
    Err, meant Flour there, sorry for that. Duh!

Sorry I just read the corn post. Did any of you see what the chef substituted flower with on TBL last night? Chick Pea Flower! That sounds GREAT! I gotta check that out on calorieking and see what I can use it for!
  • banks1850
    Options
    here are the numbers I found for 1/2 a cup on calorie king for Chickpea flour
    Not bad.
    Total Fat 3.1 g 5%
    Sat. Fat 0.3 g 2%
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
    Sodium 29 mg 1%
    Total Carbs. 26.6 g 9%
    Dietary Fiber 5.0 g 20%
    Sugars 5.0 g
    Protein 10.3 g
    Calcium 20.7 mg
    Potassium 389.2 mg
  • banks1850
    Options
    and here is a 1/2 cup of white flour

Total Fat 0.6 g 1%
    Sat. Fat 0.1 g 0%
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
    Sodium 1 mg 0%
    Total Carbs. 47.7 g 16%
    Dietary Fiber 1.7 g 7%
    Sugars 0.2 g
    Protein 6.5 g
    Calcium 9.4 mg
    Potassium 66.9 mg

notice the difference in carbs and fiber. Saturated fat's about the same, protein's a good bit higher, LOTS more potatssium, and lots more calcium and fiber too. Looks like chickpea four is a good substitute as long as it tastes good (have never tried it, when I do I'll let you know)
  • banks1850
    Options
    oh, and calories sorry,

chickpea four 178

white flour 228

nice. 50 cals less per serving.
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    sort of off topic but related...

Potato Bread as a substitute for white bread. My husband and child hate WW Bread but they will eat potato bread...

I am going to do some research on this today.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Just going on instinct here - wouldn't a bean flour be stickier than a grain flour? The higher fat would have to be compensated in baking - this is a good thing - so you would need to lower the oil in the recipe. If you were making a soup/stew/gravy etc, no changes would need to be made.

Does anyone have experience working with this flour?

Didn't see the show, what was the chef making?
  • banks1850
    Options
    oooh, look what I found. Great site that tells you what to substitute for all purpose flour.

http://www.sonic.net/~alden/Flour.html#all-purpose

unfortunately it doesn't give the nutrition info. but you can get that for almost any of them here

www.calorieking.com
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Doesn't seem to be anything that lowers the carbs , I wonder if baked in bread how that would come out, I am only suppose to have 15 carbs in a serving of anything. Just thinking out loud.:smile:
  • banks1850
    Options
    Just going on instinct here - wouldn't a bean flour be stickier than a grain flour? The higher fat would have to be compensated in baking - this is a good thing - so you would need to lower the oil in the recipe. If you were making a soup/stew/gravy etc, no changes would need to be made.

Does anyone have experience working with this flour?

Didn't see the show, what was the chef making?

he was coating chicken.
  • banks1850
    Options
    Doesn't seem to be anything that lowers the carbs , I wonder if baked in bread how that would come out, I am only suppose to have 15 carbs in a serving of anything. Just thinking out loud.:smile:

the carbs in chickpea flour are MUCH lower then white flour 26.6 vs 47
    but that's if you use a whole 1/2 cup. If you're just breadding chicken, I doubt you would use all of it.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    oooh, look what I found. Great site that tells you what to substitute for all purpose flour.

http://www.sonic.net/~alden/Flour.html#all-purpose

unfortunately it doesn't give the nutrition info. but you can get that for almost any of them here

www.calorieking.com

Noticed Chick Pea wasn't in the list. I would put it with Quinoa flour - since it also has a higher fat content. The breading of chicken with chick pea is a great idea - might throw some wheat germ in there as well to give it a nutty crunch - of course, I don't eat chicken, but I could bread my tofu :laugh:
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

the carbs in chickpea flour are MUCH lower then white flour 26.6 vs 47
    but that's if you use a whole 1/2 cup. If you're just breadding chicken, I doubt you would use all of it.

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    For the record, it is good in small amounts.

But, it tastes well. . ."beany". It's in my blend (can't have wheat). I think it's primarily a protein thing. Trust me, in bread, you won't fool anybody. The density is the main factor, that and it doesn't behave like wheat.
    For breading, the closest I've come is ground pecans (high in calories, but the same "toothiness" as whole wheat or bread crumbs).

For the record, the blend I use is "Bob's Red Mill" gluten free blend. It's primarily chickpea flour.

Sigh. Nothing is wheat but wheat.:flowerforyou: <
    look. . . a "flour" for you.:tongue:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options

• mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options