You have 365 days to prep for a Ninja Warrior/American Gladiator fight. How do you train?

Options
I think parkour/free running and practical body weight strength training (pull-ups, push-ups, etc.) would be useful for the first half and muay thai/judo for the next (just saying mma I think is cheating).

Would love to hear your answers!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    If it was around in my 20's, I would work on grip strength and endurance, as well as core training and balance. Most of the other stuff can be learned with technique training, but people usually fail when it comes to grip strength and balance obstacles.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    How much fun!!!!! Good luck!!!!!
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If it was around in my 20's, I would work on grip strength and endurance, as well as core training and balance. Most of the other stuff can be learned with technique training, but people usually fail when it comes to grip strength and balance obstacles.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Is there a better way to work on grip strength than just hanging from a bar?
    I can do a decent set of 10 pull ups with relatively good form.
    As soon as I let go with one hand - BOOM: Dropped.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    parquor and body weight work and playing on the jungle gyms.
    some places have gyms devoted to this stuff or people have their own ninja workout stations at home, like the evil evil salmon ladder.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Is there a better way to work on grip strength than just hanging from a bar?
    I can do a decent set of 10 pull ups with relatively good form.
    As soon as I let go with one hand - BOOM: Dropped.
    They make specific hand grippers (based on poundage) that you can purchase to help. But nothing does it quite like rock climbing, swinging from bars or railing (finger tips on a 2 inch rail) across a wall.

http://www.bestcovery.com/robert-baraban-black-adjustable-hand-gripper-50500lbs-resistance

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png