Need advise on cardio

I am 42 years old and about 50-60 punds overwieght (5'3' and 187 lbs). I have recently lost 7 pounds and haven't budged in 3 weeks, but I have gone down a whole clothing size, so I know I am losing fat. My husband has me lifting weights at least 3-4 times per week (which I love) and I dabble in some cardio- P90X, Zumba, some eliptical) and I have a desk job that has me sitting for 8 hours a day. My biggest question is, exactly how much cardio should I be doing daily to help burn more calories?

I have had multiple people tell me that I am not eating enough calories on a 1200 calorie day diet. Also, if I burn 600 calories, do I then eat 600 more calories or stick to the 1200?

Please don't come on here ranting! I am very well aware that I am not doing enough cardio right now, but I truely want to know how much is optimal. Some say 1 hour some say 45 minutes.

Rome wasn't built in a day and I did not gain this weight overnight, so I am not looking for a quick fix, like diet pills. I figured that if it hurts bad enough coming off, then maybe this time, I will keep it off.

Replies

• rickyll
    rickyll Posts: 188 Member
    answer: there is no OPTIMAL amount of cardio
    What you know right now is that your cardio may not be enough. Increase it by 10 minutes per session and see where that gets you in a few weeks. Change it up according to the results.

Try different types of cardio: in the morning go for long, low intensity walk. In the afternoon, try some high intensity interval training with running or swimming.

Again, there is no optimal level and there is no "right" program to follow
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I am 42 years old and about 50-60 punds overwieght (5'3' and 187 lbs). I have recently lost 7 pounds and haven't budged in 3 weeks, but I have gone down a whole clothing size, so I know I am losing fat. My husband has me lifting weights at least 3-4 times per week (which I love) and I dabble in some cardio- P90X, Zumba, some eliptical) and I have a desk job that has me sitting for 8 hours a day. My biggest question is, exactly how much cardio should I be doing daily to help burn more calories?

I have had multiple people tell me that I am not eating enough calories on a 1200 calorie day diet. Also, if I burn 600 calories, do I then eat 600 more calories or stick to the 1200?

Please don't come on here ranting! I am very well aware that I am not doing enough cardio right now, but I truely want to know how much is optimal. Some say 1 hour some say 45 minutes.

Rome wasn't built in a day and I did not gain this weight overnight, so I am not looking for a quick fix, like diet pills. I figured that if it hurts bad enough coming off, then maybe this time, I will keep it off.

Yes - the way MFP is designed ..... you eat more calories. MFP does not assume anyone will exercise, so the calorie deficit is built in without it. When you exercise you increase the calorie deficit further. The problem with too large a calorie deficit ..... you shed fat AND muscle. A moderate weight loss plan "protects" muscle mass ..... weight lifting also protects muscle mass.

Cardio burns calories and builds endurance...... so yes, you need a balance..... but everyday is not necessary.
  • Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Yeah everybody is different. But i would say at least aim for 30mins. if you can do more do more.
  • dbrakora
    dbrakora Posts: 8 Member
    Keep at it and don't give up. The scale will move in time. You are doing the two most important things you need to be doing to lose fat, eating fewer calories and lifting weights. I would suggest trying to increase your activity (don't think more cardio) Go for 2 or 3 short 10 minute walks during the day at work, park farther from the entrance to the store, take the stairs when possible. Make sure you are eating quality calories, lean protein, whole grains tons of veggies and some fruit. Drink lots of water. You got this!
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    I'm a cardio junkie, love the cardio of course I'm a long distance cyclist. Lifting does burn fat too, and if lifting is your love you can also make lifting cardio (by the way I love lifting too, haven't been doing it much as I'm training for a huge ride).

Sounds as if you are actually burning fat, and building a little muscle as you have noticed that your are getting smaller. I don't always eat all my calories back, but I eat some of them. I kind of let my body tell me what to do. If I'm feeling very, very tired or very, very hungry I eat some of the calories.

If you aren't feeding your body enough, you could loose some of that hard fought for muscle. Use your measurements to gauge your progress more than the scale. Be happy with small loses 1/2 pound to a pound a week should be the most you ever try for. I'm not sure what you told MFP when you started, but if you told it you wanted to loose 3 or 4 pounds a week (or more) MFP might have set your calories at 1200, because it won't set it any lower. So if you did tell it that much, try redoing it, and telling it 1 pound a week and see what it tells you.

Good luck and it really does sound like you are on the right track.
  • I would say always eat at least portion of the calories you burnt off back on...I have my food managed for good nutrition (aka enough protein - women tend to be bad at getting enough protein) and to meet my total calorie count 1380. BUT on the days I work out - lifting or cardio I wear a heart rate monitor which also calculates calories burned. So I use these 'Bonus' calories to have a sweet. I know myself well enough to know that if I don't give myself a sweet now and then I will completely BLOW the whole thing and eat a whole 1 lb. bag of peanut m&ms after a month of feeling deprived. My trainer, Nicole, doesn't agree with my approach, but it is working for me. She is great and pushes me hard, but she is one of those 'crazy' body builders that thinks if you are eating more than beans, brown rice, a green veggie and a hunk of meat you are going off course. I do love her dearly and fight with her all the time about calories in vs calories out....(she - certified trainer, me - PhD Food Science). She beleives that 'when' you eat your carbohydrates is important in wt loss and 'what type' of calories you are eating make a difference in losing wt....I am sticking with Calories In and Calories Out. I could eat 1380 calories in Twinkies and I'd still lose wt! I'd be very hungry, hypoglycemic from insulin rush and glucose crash and Malnurished but still be losing wt. That is if I could stand up. :-)

I always do at least 20 minutes of cardio even on the days I lift wts. On the days I don't lift I do more like 30 to 60 minutes of cardio...but just as RickyII said, it is a mix, some days it is low intensity for 10 minutes 2x in the day and others I will do intervals for 45 min. I like intervals a lot, push hard for a period of time then recover - I will set the treadmill at 20-25% incline and walk up hill for 5 minutes at 2mph get my hr to 150-160 bpm (I am 53 yo so my max is supposed to be 167ish so this is a bit high, but i feel good pushing that much) then bring it down to 10% incline and walk until I have recovered to about 130-135 bpm. Then do it all over again.
  • Lot's of great advise. Thank you very much.
    I know that everyone is different and I will not give up this time. I am feeling stronger and as long as my rear-end is getting smaller than I am happy, but most importantly, I feel healthier than I have in a long, long time.
    Thanks again!