Confidence levels

Options
How do people over come confidence when it comes to working out. I really want to start going running i just feel like everyone will be staring at me because im not skinny atm.

Replies

• Cathscottage
    Cathscottage Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    No most people don't bother looking. If self conscious then jog early in morning. Don't let others stop you reaching your goal. If they do stare at you then they have the problem not you. You show them that nothing will stop you from reaching your goal not even the people who stare at you. Go girl strut your stuff. I have forgotten long ago what people think of me. If I worried about other people I would not get out of bed in the morning. If they are looking it's because they feel guilty they are not jogging like you are.
  • linzimain
    linzimain Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Lol thanks for the motivation i just feel like everyone will be judging
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    There's always *kitten* - but you can ignore them because they are *kitten*. Otherwise, most people are too wrapped up in their own lives to care overmuch.

Also, once you start running, you'll be too busy having a good run to care about anyone else.

Good luck - running is one of the good things I've started doing too.
  • snowdancer03
    snowdancer03 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way when I jog. I have just started listening to lose music do I can't hear anyone and I wear aa baggie T-shirt.
  • ptsmiles
    ptsmiles Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I was worried about the same thing. I started out inside on the treadmill and decided to pull up my big girl panties and give it a go. I put on headphones and did the best I could. I do admit that I would stop every time a car would drive by at first because I kept imagining them watching the fat girl running and laugh. Not once though has anyone said anything negative. In fact, I did have a couple people say, "good for you". I'm not fast and I can't run more than a minute or two at a time, but I'm doing it.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Most people do not look twice at runners. And most people jogging around the neighbourhood or the local park are average people of all ages, weights and shapes. You will have to really make an effort for people to stare at you, like try running in your bikini or a chicken costume :)
  • linzimain
    linzimain Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Lol thanks for the confidence boost i think ill try give it ago this weekend.bit worried as i have ms but i can only try :)
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    oops, double post, see the one below.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Looks like a good time to post this again. This is from a 13 year old blog (May 2012). Here's the link flintland.blogspot.com/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html and here's a copy n paste of it:

Hey, Fat Girl.

Yes, you. The one feigning to not see me when we cross paths on the running track. The one not even wearing sports gear, breathing heavy. You’re slow, you breathe hard and your efforts at moving forward make you cringe.

You cling shyly to the furthest corridor, sometimes making larger loops on the gravel ring by the track just so you’re not on it. You sweat so much that your hair is all wet. You rarely stay for more than 20 minutes at a time, and you look exhausted when you leave to go back home. You never talk to anyone. I’ve got something I’d like to say to you.

You are awesome.

If you’d look me in the eye only for an instant, you would notice the reverence and respect I have for you. The adventure you have started is tremendous; it leads to a better health, to renewed confidence and to a brand new kind of freedom. The gifts you will receive from running will far exceed the gigantic effort it takes you to show up here, to face your fears and to bravely set yourself in motion, in front of others.

You have already begun your transformation. You no longer accept this physical state of numbness and passivity. You have taken a difficult decision, but one that holds so much promise. Every hard breath you take is actually a tad easier than the one before, and every step is ever so slightly lighter. Each push forward leaves the former person you were in your wake, creating room for an improved version, one that is stronger, healthier and forward-looking, one who knows that anything is possible.

You’re a hero to me. And, if you’d take off the blaring headphones and put your head up for more than a second or two, you would notice that the other runners you cross, the ones that probably make you feel so inadequate, stare in awe at your determination. They, of all people, know best where you are coming from. They heard the resolutions of so many others, who vowed to pick up running and improve their health, “starting next week”. Yet, it is YOU who runs alongside, who digs from deep inside to find the strength to come here, and to come back again.

You are a runner, and no one can take that away from you. You are relentlessly moving forward. You are stronger than even you think, and you are about to be amazed by what you can do. One day, very soon, maybe tomorrow, you’ll step outside and marvel at your capabilities. You will not believe your own body, you will realize that you can do this. And a new horizon will open up for you. You are a true inspiration.

I bow to you.

• MoragLang
    MoragLang Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    TheBeachGod, what a fantastic encouraging post, thank you!