Should I cut more or switch to maintenance?

I asked this over at Eat Train Progress but no responses yet. I'll try here.

I'm 46, 5'2", SAHM. Currently I do ICF 3x/wk & KB circuit training or HIIT once a week. I've lost 14 lbs & am 3 lbs from my initial goal weight. I'm happy with my progress but want to get leaner. My scale tells me I'm at 22.4% body fat. I know they aren't accurate-I use that data to track progress. Last Feb. it told me I was at 26% bf. I currently aim for 1350 calories and I'm doing intermittent fasting to help me keep my deficit.
I'm thinking about recomposition a lot. I want to lose more fat, from lower body mostly. I'm pretty lean on top. My arms and back have gained muscle & I'm beginning to see some definition in abs and legs. I'd like to do a more in depth weight routine, like PHUL. I did Stronglifts for a year and just recently added ICF accessories. I think it's time for upper/lower body split now. For me to do a recomp should I go right up to maintenance calories or bump up slowly? Or should I continue cutting? I don't think I would attempt PHUL on deficit calories.

Replies

• vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    Thanks for all the detail. IMHO, you should get to your initial goal weight and maintain it for 6 months to see if it is manageable. Then if you are doing well, try for an additional 1 lb weight loss at a time. Your body is going to tell you the weight it can easily maintain. No sense in pushing yourself further than your body is comfortable functioning at.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Thanks for your advice.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Yeh, shooting for 15-17 percent myself, but can't seem to get below 19.4 percent. When I was younger, I was 20 lbs heavier, at 10.5 percent! Go figure!??? Good luck to us both!!! :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Recomp doesn't have to be precisely at maintenance calories - at or around works maintenance works.

Would suggest walking up your calories now and reduce your weight loss to a crawl. Your training and recovery will improve with added calories so good timing to start a more challenging routine.

I lost my final few pounds at a snail's pace - less than1lb a month. But BodPod scans suggested a loss of 7.7lbs of fat and gain of 3.5lbs of LBM in the same time period.

Remember what you decide now isn't forever and even just finding your current maintenance calories is very useful data. Don't be afraid to experiment.
  • Sumiblue
    ^^^thank you! I hope to lose the last 3 lbs by January 1st & then I was planning on getting a Bodpod assessment. Calipers give me a lower bf % than my scale.
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    edited December 2015
    Females should cut to 20% and bulk to 25%. Lather, rinse, repeat.
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    My 2 cents...I would recommend increasing your calories closer to maintenance and trying a split routine (like PHUL) to increase your muscle mass so I agree with @sijomial

4 weeks ago, I increased my strength routine (was previously doing Strong Lifts) and am eating close to maintenance calories for my exercise level. I started PHUL and love it! I'm currently eating about 1800-2100 calories/day and in 4 weeks, I've lost almost 10 inches (bust, chest, waist, hips, butt, and upper thigh measurements only) with my weight dropping by maybe 1 lb. My clothes fit better and because I'm like you and hold my weight in my lower body, my upper body strength gains has made me look more proportional because my shoulders and arms are more defined. Best of all, my lifts are increasing each week and I love how strong I feel!

Let us know what you decide and how your progress is.
  • Sumiblue
    Wow! Great to hear your experience, @Jennifer_Lynn_1982! That's kind of what I was hoping to hear. I'm happy with my weight but my lifts are not progressing. I feel like I'm spinning my wheels until I eat more. Increasing my calories during the holidays might be less crazy-making for me, too
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    @Sumiblue - I say go for it then and up your calories if your goal is to get some progress on your lifts and see some changes in your body too!