Beachbody workout options advice/experience

Options
I am looking into buying a home workout from the Beachbody series. Maybe Turbo jam? I was hoping to hear from those who have used these and maybe some advice. I have 70 lbs to lose. I've lost 100 lbs already. I have never done any weight resistance training. I am not exactly a beginner with cardio workouts. I walked 3-5 miles almost daily, I jog/run 2 -4 miles. I've done a 5k (slowly). I'm 51 years old but all in all decent shape. My future goals - I would love to get some serious muscle. Thanks for your input.

Replies

• rosey35
    rosey35 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Fitness blender on YouTube has tons of different workouts, so as Jessica smith, body by Amy, gymra and befit all free channels hundreds of workouts. A beach body program is not cheap, tons of kickboxing workouts on YouTube which is what turbo jam is. The plus side of the free channels no beach body coach trying to sell you stuff all the time or starting a challenge group where you have to buy shakes to participate.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I am looking into buying a home workout from the Beachbody series. Maybe Turbo jam? I was hoping to hear from those who have used these and maybe some advice. I have 70 lbs to lose. I've lost 100 lbs already. I have never done any weight resistance training. I am not exactly a beginner with cardio workouts. I walked 3-5 miles almost daily, I jog/run 2 -4 miles. I've done a 5k (slowly). I'm 51 years old but all in all decent shape. My future goals - I would love to get some serious muscle. Thanks for your input.

Turbo Jam is available on Amazon (fairly cheap). It's a bit older than Turbo Fire or Turbo Kick. No need to subject yourself to pushy sales people just yet.

I'm glad I bought a used Turbo Jam set, because I couldn't stand the cheesiness. Serious muscle tone won't come from this set either. If you try this set and love it then move onto Turbo Fire or Turbo Kick....not nearly as cheesy.

I did like the Slim in 6 workouts. Kind of dry, but really effective (Amazon also).

I buy individual DVDs (no Beachbody coaches....ugh). These 2 sites are great, they have tons of info on workout DVDs

http://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/default.asp

http://www.collagevideo.com/

Kelly Coffey Meyer is my favorite instructor right now.
  • kenyainez
    kenyainez Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    First of all, way to work on the 100 lb loss. That's fantastic. As far as programs, it just depends on your goals and your preferred style to work out. I'm in love with Insanity Max 30 and lost 22 lbs with Focus T25. However if you want to some serious muscle you may want to look at the weight lifting DVDs or joining a local gym. Hope this helps. :0)
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    I'm very pleased to be reading this (timely to me) thread - I have put Beachbody videos on my wish list at Amazon and it's great to know that I don't have to spend that kind of money!
  • Bchlvr64
    Bchlvr64 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your responses! I checked out youtube. I'm so excited to get home from work now!
  • tifftaffy
    tifftaffy Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Check out Body Beast, it's really good, and a lot cheaper than it used to be. I like that it doesn't have as much of the commercials for their nutritional products as the others, and I absolutely <3 the focus on the weight lifting. Amazon has it as well. I don't know how much equipment you have, but if you don't have free weights (dumbbells), check out Ballet Body and Ballet Beautiful- those are two (similar names, very different in style) of the best routines that I know of, and they use your own body weight to do the workouts.
  • lingo10
    lingo10 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    P90X2 or Insanity if you want some muscles, great functional training and bodyweight workouts from both. Some using equipment, others none. Real serious muscle building = Body Beast. You dont need a "coach" to enjoy the programs.

And as someone said above, free youtube workouts are also great. Just have some dumbbells and resistance bands :)