Ingredients to watch out for?

Options

Replies

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Apparently there's some kind of genetic difference that affects how people taste it. I like to think of those who fail to taste how delicious it is as having a genetic defect. ;-) (Kidding about the defect, obviously, but this is one of my favorite weird food things.)

I use a lot of it. I have found that the combination of cilantro, cumin, serrano peppers or red pepper flakes helps to take the place of the low sodium way that I have to eat.

It's also cheap...that part I love.

I don't like the taste of it by itself but combined with other foods it adds an interesting taste. I love to add a bit to my sauteed meats.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    When I look for something healthy I usually look for what ingredients something has instead of what ingredients it doesn't. For yogurt for example, does it have live culture? Yes? Healthy. No, Still healthy but the former fits my goals better. Ingredients I usually look for in packaged foods are first and foremost taste, then protein, then fiber.

There are a few cases where I do try to limit certain things. I'm mildly allergic to egg whites so I try not to over-consume products that have them, and when I had hypertension I usually watched my sodium. Trans fats are also something I try to avoid when possible and could sway my buying decision because my family has a history of heart disease.

Basically it's not a question of healthy, it's a question of how well something fits my goals compared to something else.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    How many would agree that eating red meat increases your risk for heart disease? To say you can eat anything you want as long as you aren't obese, I would argue that your percentages for certain types of diseases would increase.

Years ago people didn't see the problem with smoking. I think we would all agree that if you smoke you increase your risk to have a few things wrong with you.

I am not saying that if you have a hamburger once a week you are going to die of a heart attack. I do think that if certain foods/ingredients in foods are consumed in certain amounts you increase your risk for some negative things to happen. You can still be under your calorie goal and eat a lot of red meat. You can still be under your calorie goal, in my opinion and not eat healthy.

I am not looking to eliminate foods/ingredients but I will be aware of what I am putting in my body. I am not a nutritionist and don't claim to be. I do think it is a topic that goes deeper than everything is fine just don't go over your calorie goal.

Eating red meat exclusively CAN increase risk of heart attack. Eating red meat as part of a varied diet poses minimal risk for those who do not have a genetic predisposition towards heart disease or have other co-morbid conditions. Red meat is a great source of heme iron so each person has to balance out potential risks with potential benefits.

Same thing with every food or additive. Each person has to decide for themselves, based on their personal situation.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Avoid anything you have allergies to or don't like the flavor of. Otherwise there is nothing you need to avoid (including aspartame, and HFCS).

Cosigned. Except beets. Everyone should avoid beets. They're evil.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    We have a variety of health concerns and food intolerances (both physical and emotional) in my family and social circle. Cooking for the group is...interesting. I usually wind up making at least 2 main dishes for each gathering, because I have found almost no mains that satisfy everyone's needs and taste buds. I think a lot of their restrictions are genuine, but some are just in their heads. However, I don't try to persuade anyone to eat differently than what they feel is right for them.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about individual components of food as such, but I do check the traffic light coding on the pack.
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/food-labelling.aspx#red
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    I generally avoid a lot of the stuff people tend to shy away from by preferring, on the whole, to scratch cook just about everything I eat. I do by ready-made broth, but my preferred brand of veggie broth is one of those hippie dippie brands with easy to read ingredients, and it's simply because to me it tastes the best.

I just like the taste of my own cooking and when you start with basic whole ingredients, you're not getting a lot of the additive ingredients people shy away from in their diets in YOUR diet.

• OyGeeBiv
    Options
    @PeachyCarol I've actually started making my own veggie broth. SO easy! I just save all the bits and ends of veggies when I'm cooking (keep a container for them in my freezer). Then when the container's full, I put all the bits in a pot with water, bring to a boil, and simmer for a while (maybe 30 minutes or so). Strain it (toss the solids in the compost), and voila! Veggie broth, with no "additives". And it's free.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    When I look for something healthy I usually look for what ingredients something has instead of what ingredients it doesn't. For yogurt for example, does it have live culture? Yes? Healthy. No, Still healthy but the former fits my goals better. Ingredients I usually look for in packaged foods are first and foremost taste, then protein, then fiber.

There are a few cases where I do try to limit certain things. I'm mildly allergic to egg whites so I try not to over-consume products that have them, and when I had hypertension I usually watched my sodium. Trans fats are also something I try to avoid when possible and could sway my buying decision because my family has a history of heart disease.

Basically it's not a question of healthy, it's a question of how well something fits my goals compared to something else.

^ Yes. I look for pickles like you describe looking for yogurts. <3

http://www.alive.com/food/a-tale-of-two-pickles/
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    64crayons wrote: »
    @PeachyCarol I've actually started making my own veggie broth. SO easy! I just save all the bits and ends of veggies when I'm cooking (keep a container for them in my freezer). Then when the container's full, I put all the bits in a pot with water, bring to a boil, and simmer for a while (maybe 30 minutes or so). Strain it (toss the solids in the compost), and voila! Veggie broth, with no "additives". And it's free.

I've tried and it never tastes as good as Imagine Foods No Chicken broth. I go through a lot of broth this time of year too. It's easier to buy it. Plus I'm lazy. ;)

It bugs, because I can make a mean chicken stock, and here I am with a husband and kids who aren't into soup.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Avoid anything you have allergies to or don't like the flavor of. Otherwise there is nothing you need to avoid (including aspartame, and HFCS).

Cooked up with vinegar and caraway seed, they are wonderful! I also like them shredded on salads.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Cooked up with vinegar and caraway seed, they are wonderful! I also like them shredded on salads.

OMG. You made them exponentially more evil by adding vinegar and caraway seeds, two additional evils. I loathe both of them. : :p
  • earlnabby
    Options
    64crayons wrote: »
    We have a variety of health concerns and food intolerances (both physical and emotional) in my family and social circle. Cooking for the group is...interesting. I usually wind up making at least 2 main dishes for each gathering, because I have found almost no mains that satisfy everyone's needs and taste buds. I think a lot of their restrictions are genuine, but some are just in their heads. However, I don't try to persuade anyone to eat differently than what they feel is right for them.

At least my family is pretty normal, except me and my eldest brother. Both of us hate fish. Oh, he is also allergic to hazelnuts (not all tree nuts, not peanuts, just hazelnuts).
  • earlnabby
    Options

OMG. You made them exponentially more evil by adding vinegar and caraway seeds, two additional evils. I loathe both of them. : :p

That is it. You are hopeless.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

But, but... cheesecake!
  • OyGeeBiv
    Options

At least my family is pretty normal, except me and my eldest brother. Both of us hate fish. Oh, he is also allergic to hazelnuts (not all tree nuts, not peanuts, just hazelnuts).

I've got a vegetarian, and one whose doctor told them to stop eating raw veggies. And another who can't eat certain cooked veggies. And another who won't eat beans/legumes. And another who can't eat most dairy. And one who's allergic to some fruits.
  • earlnabby
    Options

But, but... cheesecake!

True. I guess I will have to stay friends with you after all.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

Now, now, now. Let's not start demonizing food...
    LOL
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    It is refreshing to find earlnabby will be just in front of me to a warmer permanent climate. **Beet lover here** Come at me Satan!
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Sorry for the derailment. To get back on topic, as has been demonstrated time and again, there are no ingredients every person has to avoid. Whether you, personally, need or want to avoid something is up to you based on your body and preferences. If a food or additive has been determined to be safe to eat, it is.