Cant even run ONE mile???

Options
2»

Replies

• Varamyr38
    Varamyr38 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I remember around high school I could run a mile in about 7.5 minutes. Those were the days. I can't even think how long it would take me now. Just keep on doing it and it'll come easier. I'd walk for the most part until I got used to going for a mile a few times a week but that's just my way of thinking.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I started running when I was about 20 years old. I smoked. On the first day, I went out and ran around the periphery of my apartment complex -- maybe half a mile? Maybe less. That was all I could do. It was so pathetic i don't know why I kept doing it. But I did. A few weeks later, I was tooling down the road, going just a little bit further every week.
    My advice to new runners is always the same: Baby steps! Go easy! If you push yourself too much early on, it is uncomfortable and you won't like it and you will stop. Go out and do whatever is fun and do not worry about it. Running will come to you, if you let it.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    It does! I used to say I would only run if being chased and now I (gulp!) do it by choice.

It takes time. If you can get a HRM to help track your HR and times, it can be very motivating.

I use music to time everything. Started out with walking a song, then jogging a song. Then I used shorter songs for walking and longer ones for running--you get the idea. Motivational lyrics are a must for me!

You can totally do this. They greet me by name at RoadRunner now ...
  • KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Wow I am trying not to beat myself up but honestly...took me exactly 15 minutes to get around the track four times...running and walking...I was so out of breath...
    Good! Now you have a base line for your current fitness. In six months or a year you'll be amazed at how much progress you've made! In January I wasn't as fast as you, and now I'm starting training for a half marathon, with a goal of sub-13 minute miles the whole way, hopefully without walking.
    also was debating doing this four times a week on top of strength training, sound good?
    Yes, but not at the level where you're so out of breath. Once a week do interval training, where you get out of breath for short periods and recover. The other 3 cardio days, exercise at a pace where you could say a six-word sentence easily, but couldn't sing. Listen to your body, and if running 4 days is too much (my knees can't take that), swap out for some elliptical, biking, or rowing.

• catwomansquats
    catwomansquats Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much again for the support,

I ran again for the second time now...this time instead of 15 minutes, I was able to do 13:45 without walking...so mainly jogging/little running. So hey, thats something!
  • MikeLeTwigg
    MikeLeTwigg Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Well done!!
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Let me third/fourth or whatever it's up to..the C25K program. I did a similar thing (Run for God...there are chapters nationwide) and went from where you are to where I'm now training for a half marathon. (In 2 years..although there was a gap where I quit or I'd be here sooner..)

It will gradually build you up to the point where a mile of jogging is doable. You alternate running and walking. In fact, I *still* do this alternate running/walking thing even now. This morning's run was 4.35 miles. B)
  • lucasdarathy
    lucasdarathy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I dunno if this helps anybody, but I've found a nice system for myself.

I power walk for fifteen minutes, then fast jog for five. I do it for an hour, so three "sets" of each.

As it's my third day, I'm sure I should be doing more sets of them in the future, but it's working well so far. I look forward to doing this for two hours! :tongue:
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It does get better with gradual and consistent effort! When I first started I couldn't walk, let alone run, for more than 2 minutes without gasping for air. Now I can run 30 minutes straight.
  • catwomansquats
    Options
    Well done!!

thank you!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I've got a tattoo on my side "Poca a Poca" which is Spanish for "Little by little". It's something I've come to live by - and it's helped massively to keep it in mind throughout my weight loss journey. There's that cliche saying "Rome wasn't built in a day" and it's absolutely true. Keep doing what you're doing, your fitness levels will improve with time and you'll feel fantastic for it :)
  • ederby94
    ederby94 Posts: 14 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I despise running, the second I step on the treadmill at the gym I can't wait to get off! When I first started I couldn't even run for a full minute and it took me 30 minutes to jog/walk a mile. Now I can just about manage a mile in little over 11 minutes switching between sprints and runs. And I still hate every second!

But for the 20-30 minutes I spend hating life on the treadmill is absolutely 100% worth the feeling afterwards! You have to remember, you can run for one minute or you can run for 10, it doesn't matter how far or fast you go as long as when you stop you know you've pushed yourself and you feel proud :)

I know it's frustrating when you first start, you expect dramatic results overnight but unfortunately it doesn't happen like that. I've been dieting and going to the gym for 3 full months now and I've only just started seeing results. Just keep going and make it a lifestyle change rather than another fad diet or a phase- if it becomes part of your life you'll adapt to it and you won't expect as much. But you'll be pleasant surprised when you notice :) x
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Try walking on a high incline every once in awhile, that helped me build strength and being able to keep my breath.

^this. I live on a city called 'city of seven hills'. That sums it up. I went from walking (hills) to running (flat) almost seamlessly
  • bhokanson2015
    bhokanson2015 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I will echo what others have said here.. When I started this journey this last spring I couldn't run for barely a minute let alone a whole mile so you are off to a fantastic start, it took me quite a long time to build up to running for an entire mile. Probably a month or more of training before I ever ran a mile without stopping. I also used c25k, like others here have said.

That being said, I have a 5k race this weekend and I am targeting a sub 23 minute time.. My practice run on monday I completed 5k in 23:13 so yes, it gets much better when you keep at it

And look how much you are improving already,. thats great progress..
  • catwomansquats
    Options
    Just an update...this was my fourth time running (doing every other day seems to be good for me) and I got 12:40 this time! So so far I've shaved off 2 minutes and 20 seconds from my first time.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    That's great! See, progress comes quicker than you might think, even if it's not instant.
  • catwomansquats
    Options
    That's great! See, progress comes quicker than you might think, even if it's not instant.

Thanks!
    I figure I might as well keep using this thread as an update of how Im doing...maybe might inspire some others that are super beginner runners too
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    You are doing awesome. So many have already said C25K and that is what I did. Was running the full 30 minutes in the eight week time frame. I would add some strength training as well. I do not run often but I find I can still pick it up easily now even though I do less cardio. I have been doing Body Revolution and skipping cardio days the last few weeks and was still able to run 2 miles at 11:30 after not running for two months.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Running stinks. Don't let it get you down.
  • chgonzalez1978
    chgonzalez1978 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I started by walking a couple of miles at a time the gradually incorporated some jogging. The key is setting small goals first. It's been 5 months now and I run 4 miles a day and 6 or 7 mile run on the weekend. It does get better.