Deadlifts

Options
how fast to add on weights ?

My first goal is 75kg ... Have been at it for a month now and gone from 3x10 30kg to 57kg ... Is it a good idea to try push on more than 5kg extra a session or not ?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Are you following a specific program that tells you to add X kg each session?

In general, I would try the additional weight if I felt good about it. I know that when I was first starting to deadlift it was pretty easy to add weight quickly, likely due to improving form and just getting more confident about it.
  • smileymaxine
    smileymaxine Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Currently I've just been adding pretty much every session as well I could and I see no point sticking at 30kg when I can clearly do more ... Just don't want to *kitten* up and hurt myself I've a fair issue with my lower back so atarted with a trainer but not with him till jan again
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Most beginner programs I'm familiar with ramp working weight roughly 10 pounds (~5kg) a week until you hit body weight, then ramp half that amount afterwards (obviously, at some point that has to drop again, but "when" varies wildly). That's assuming eating enough to build the muscle. OTOH, those programs generally are lower rep (5R, generally), and have only a single 1x5 at working weight. 3x10 at working weight is a crap-ton of volume, and I have a feeling you'd have to ramp a lot slower than that. If you're worried about screwing things up, take a video of your working weight lift and compare it to a good form video or post it for form check over in the eat-train-progress group.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    5-10lbs a week is fine for beginners. It will slow down eventually.
  • FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    If it's easy add 20 lbs. See how it feels. Let your body tell u
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I increase the weight when I can get to 15 reps without a rest. 2 consecutive sets with a small (15 second) break in between.
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I add weight to deadlifts, or any other barbell exercise, at the rate of 10%, rounded down, for anything below 100 lbs & 10 lbs if at/over 100 lbs. only after I've performed that particular exercise, say deadlifts, with the same set/rep/rest time 3 times successfully. I also listen to my body & usually try new weights after a rest day or when I feel everything is going well & I'm fresh.
  • mike_bold
    mike_bold Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    if you have only being doing them a few months or less, then you should be good to add 5 lbs every week and be able to hit the same sets / reps as you did last week. Just remember to eat plenty of protein and take every 4th or 6th week off to deload and grow.

if you have been doing them a little longer, or have plateaued, then it's time to move over to a strength program like 531 or similar.

good luck
  • smileymaxine
    smileymaxine Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    mike_bold wrote: »
    if you have only being doing them a few months or less, then you should be good to add 5 lbs every week and be able to hit the same sets / reps as you did last week. Just remember to eat plenty of protein and take every 4th or 6th week off to deload and grow.

if you have been doing them a little longer, or have plateaued, then it's time to move over to a strength program like 531 or similar.

good luck

Thanks for all the thoughts guys :)
    Will be changing up my routine after the new year with my trainer ... Hopefully finally being aloud to add in squats so will take a week off over the holidays ( don't really like taking breaks though )