How much weight should i gain before a cut

Options
Hi. So right now im in the middle of bulking. I started 2 weeks ago at 133lbs and im trying to bulk up to 170lbs. Im currently at 138lbs. My question is how much weight should i put on before i do a cut? I know i probably shouldnt bulk the whole way to 170lbs without some cuts in between right?

Replies

• dogger50
    dogger50 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That's a huge jump in lean muscle. It should take 6 months or longer to gain that kind of muscle and a lot of gym time. Id shoot for 155 first then reassess your goal.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    You are going to need a few bulk /cut cycles to get there...

I would say when your body fat % gets to 17-18 it's time to stop and do slow cut...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    dogger50 wrote: »
    That's a huge jump in lean muscle. It should take 6 months or longer to gain that kind of muscle and a lot of gym time. Id shoot for 155 first then reassess your goal.

More realistically, if you want to minimize fat gains, it will probably take a few years.

OP, it will come down to how much fat you want to carry. But i would probably cycle roughly every 4 to 6 months.
  • joelo_83
    joelo_83 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    dogger50 wrote: »

More realistically, if you want to minimize fat gains, it will probably take a few years.

OP, it will come down to how much fat you want to carry. But i would probably cycle roughly every 4 to 6 months.

This. In best of all scenarios (unless you're on gear), you're looking at 1-2lbs per month of LBM gain max. That's about 20lbs per year (again assuming no plateaus etc). Plan on 2 years to get to where you want to be. Commit to the time frame and do a slow bulk, minimizing the fat gain.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    If you're gaining more than ~4 pounds per month, you're bulking wrong and just getting fat. For your goals, you're looking at 2-3 years of lifting/bulking, reevaluating every few months (your caloric need will change as you get bigger, so your diet will need to change, too).

But the usual advice is: Bulk until you're tired of being fat; cut until you're tired of being weak.