Restricting calories while strength training

Options
Also posted on the "Introduce Yourself" board. Hope it's okay to cross-post here!

I'm a 61yo female in general good health. Reckon I have 15-20 lbs to lose. I started doing a strength-training routine a couple months ago (2X week). Good improvements in strength, sleep, mood. Coach sez don't restrict calories at this point--his philosophy is to lay down the muscle first, THEN tackle the weight loss. This makes sense, but the tire around my middle really bugs me. (It's like I recognized that I actually HAD a body and as a result I find the extra weight much more disturbing.) Lost a few pounds on FP at 1200 calories/day (recommended for pound a week loss) a while back but don't want to lose any muscle I might be gaining. I'm tempted to up the protein and shoot for 1500, but maybe I shouldn't be in such a rush. Your thoughts welcome!

Replies

• FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Protein will help.. more the merrier imo. You can gain strength will losing fat while lifting weights.. cut calories for a while and see what happens when strength tapers off add some back..

Probably not best advice but that's what did...
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I agree with your plan. Eat at a small deficit and lift. 1450-1500 should be fine. I've been doing the same since September, for the same reason, bothered by the soft tire, and it's been working. Best of luck.
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I believe that losing body fat is very important before attempting to put on muscle mass through a surplus. The more fat you have, the more likely that a lot of the weight you gain while lifting and eating in a surplus will be fat.

• kes840
    kes840 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I think I'll try 1500 and more protein...and try hard to stay away from the kitchen table at work and its perilous holiday snacks!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    Strength train because you enjoy it, Diet to lose weight and lose the midsection. You wont necessarily lose "strength" on a deficit, don't confuse muscle strength with muscle size. although size affects strength, there are many other factors that affect strength besides size. You don't need to lay down muscle, you already have muscles, you were born with them. You're trainer shoudlnt be talking to you about gaining muscle, he should be training you to use what you already have. Women gain and lose muscle very very very slowly even on the strictest of programs. So dont even worry about losing any muscle you gain, it will be so slight it will be unnoticeable.
  • kes840
    Options
    Thanks SonaCele! I think my trainer is talking about building strength and not mass. Really, it's scary how much my strength has declined postmenopausally, and it's encouraging to see that it's possible to improve. I hope to be cleaning my own gutters and hauling my own bags of dogfood for a long time to come. And I DO like the workout...especially the mood boost.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    This depends on your current height and weight, so i can't comment on your calorie goal.

My suggestion would be to run a very small calorie deficit (like -15%) and make sure to hit your protein goal (1g per pound LBM).

You are not likely gaining new muscle, but strength. As sonya said above, "don't confuse muscle strength with muscle size. although size affects strength, there are many other factors that affect strength besides size." Running a small calorie deficit will not likely affect your training.
  • kes840
    Options
    5'3", 155 lbs. I would be ecstatic about a toned 140.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    kes840 wrote: »
    5'3", 155 lbs. I would be ecstatic about a toned 140.

ah, then yes, 1500 calories is the -15% i was talking about exactly. :)