Building muscle/toning

Options
Is it as simple as just focusing more on strength training. Not sure how much cardio I should do now but I for sure want more muscle definition

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Yes, in a nut shell :smile:

At least 3 days a week strength training with rest days in between. ...lift heavy, work your way up to that - you'll see muscle tone happening from being consistent in a few months :smile:

Cardio is good for heart health, everyone is different but I usually aim for 40 to 60 mins 5 days a week running and also I walk alot.

I'm told 20 to 30 mins a day of cardio is adequate.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You really need to give much more information about yourself if you want specific advice.

Muscle building can be as simple as just stressing your muscles (overload, fatigue, volume...) with weights/resistance training being the usual optimal choice. There's a subtle difference between strength and muscle building.

How much cardio? There's a minimum amount for health but without knowing your goals then no-one else can really tell you. I do loads but I'm a cyclist.

Muscle definition is a combination of muscle size and low body fat with the lack of fat covering you muscle being the primary factor.

So what are yours goals (not toning please as that's a horrible and pretty meaningless phrase!)?
    Where are you now in term of body fat, fitness, strength?
    Any restrictions (time, equipment, injuries)?
    And importantly - what do you enjoy?