Question about weighing and measuring...How to not be embarrassed?

Options
2»

Replies

• zenjen13
    zenjen13 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this too and just bought my scale yesterday. I can tell you that I certainly cannot portion properly with my eyes. I had some bread tonight and the portion according to the pkg is 50g. I sliced some and my piece was 45g. In the past I would've eaten three of these pieces thinking I was ok - not tonight!
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I really really really love my food scale. I do sometimes get sick of it and will take a break for couple of days, but I love the feeling of control I have when I use it. No more guessing. I know I can have my dessert and eat it too (literally), Every. Single. Day.

I only use it at home tho. I would never take it on vacation, to a restaurant or a friends house. I've been at this for long enough that I'm very comfortable with portion sizes, and I tend to make better choices when I dont have my scale anyway
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Why would this be embarrassing? I weigh when home, but when I eat out, it's guesstimation time.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I also use my scale at home, only. When I go out (usually twice a week and sometimes three), I am careful with the portions; I don't log anything unless the restaurant has the nutritional information in their website, and I don"t guesstimate or try to look for similarities in the MFP database. Not worthy for me. The same when I go to a friend's house or even during the holidays.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I weigh only at home (85% of my meals), tend to go to chains when eating at a restaurant or fast food (3%), and use best guess everywhere else (12%, parents house, etc).

With almost 90% of my meals accurate, best guess on the rest doesn't impede my progress. Plus, you'll learn over time what certain portions look like.