Going Gluten Free?

Options
2»

Replies

• cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I have been GF for almost 6 years now. It was not by choice, I was blood tested for Celiac after being in horrific GI pain for a couple weeks, and my Mom had it so it is likely I do. The doctor said that my blood results were off the chart enough to concede I am a Celiac without the biopsy because I actually teared up when he told me I would have to go back on gluten to get it! Even IF I am not a Celiac, it really doesn't matter with the awful reactions I have to it.

Going GF has cured me of migraines completely (debilitating to the point I couldn't get out of bed to throw up), a recurrent facial rash that I had 3 different meds for, acne, persistent back, knee and hip pain, brain fog and vision changes (everything looked dim and dark), my immune system has improved immensely and I am not sick as much, I have no more heartburn or reflux, I have no more of the horrible GI pain (it felt like broken glass was going through there), and I only have IBS symptoms if I eat other things I know I shouldn't (like other grains and beans). I got all excited that Cheerios went GF, and got a box as they used to be a favorite! Well, I learned my lesson when I felt the inflammation start within minutes, and the GI stuff followed. I am not a person that can just substitute and move on, I have become sensitive to most grains and have to use them as a once in a while thing. I have issues off and on with dairy. I eliminate it for a time and then it's OK for a while.

Every GF person is different in what they can handle or not, but I think at least once to do an elimination diet is enlightening. I did a few different ones and it has been different each time. I won't even test gluten as I know from the few times I have gotten small amounts that it remains an issue I need to steer clear of!
  • Robo_mooh
    Robo_mooh Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm mostly GF, though eating gluten won't do me any harm. My BF has coeliacs and an intolerance to most grains (oats, corn, rice etc) so we live in a 100% grain free house! Not worth the risk with him getting ill - I do miss bread though!

I live, breathe, and sleep potatoes!