Raw Diet

Options
Im 5'6. My starting weight was 245.6lbs. Today is weigh in day so not sure where im at but my last weigh in i was at 205lbs. ive recently started a raw diet cleanse duration; 10 days. Today is day 4. Anyone else tried this before? how was it? Success stories? Im thinking of trying to stay on it til i reach my goal weight of 180. Is that too drastic? I know their are alot of people that will be like its not healthy, i trully understand just wanna know sense im obviously "obese" why not try and get the last few off and work on maintaining...

Replies

• Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    What are you going to eat when you're at 180? Consider finding a way of eating that will last you all the way to 180 and beyond.
  • kiramommy08
    kiramommy08 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I wanna see about trying to slowly introduce fish , chicken and eggs back into my diet (cooked) maybe do a partial once i hit 180. That shouldnt be too hard right?
    Protranser wrote: »
    What are you going to eat when you're at 180? Consider finding a way of eating that will last you all the way to 180 and beyond.

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    The way I look at weight loss is this: It is my time to be (re)training myself on how to eat for the rest of my life. How to cook tasty and healthy food, how to choose appropriate portions. How to eat to satisfaction rather than to "full." How to survive holiday parties, temptations, office doughnuts. How to eat out at a restaurant, or as a guest in someone's home. It's my time to learn how my body reacts to certain foods, to learn my personal patterns of gain/loss (for example, high sodium meals pack on water weight but it comes off fast; and, I like a lot of women, gain several pounds in the week leading up to my period, etc). I get this time to figure out what exercises I like and which ones I despise, and to teach myself when to worry about weight gains and when to NOT PANIC. All this in preparation for the rest of my life, so that when I reached my goal, I had a firm foundation under me. I don't intend to do this again. I have yo-yo'd for close to half of my adult life, and I'm done. This time is the time I get it right, this is the time I learn all the things I just mentioned, this is the time I get my head around it and understand what goes on with my body.

So. Raw diet? Cleanse? These are yo-yo, fad-diet, RUN AWAY words. It's not something you can sustain for life. It won't teach you much about the things I mentioned above. So I know you feel kind of anxious to get the weight off, and you want it off as fast as possible, but really unless you want to be back here in 3 months, or 6, or a year or two years posting an "I'm back, starting over" post, you're going to be MUCH better served by taking the doable, sensible, realistic approach and learning some things instead of falling for yet another gimmick.
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Im 5'6. My starting weight was 245.6lbs. Today is weigh in day so not sure where im at but my last weigh in i was at 205lbs. ive recently started a raw diet cleanse duration; 10 days. Today is day 4. Anyone else tried this before? how was it? Success stories? Im thinking of trying to stay on it til i reach my goal weight of 180. Is that too drastic? I know their are alot of people that will be like its not healthy, i trully understand just wanna know sense im obviously "obese" why not try and get the last few off and work on maintaining...

Just curious what you're going to consume for protein?

Is a raw diet necessary, Is there any scientific reasoning for following such a diet?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Fruits and nuts and leafy veggies and nuts. Avocados? Bean sprouts?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
  • norasatqa
    norasatqa Posts: 42 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    The way I look at weight loss is this: It is my time to be (re)training myself on how to eat for the rest of my life. How to cook tasty and healthy food, how to choose appropriate portions. How to eat to satisfaction rather than to "full." How to survive holiday parties, temptations, office doughnuts. How to eat out at a restaurant, or as a guest in someone's home. It's my time to learn how my body reacts to certain foods, to learn my personal patterns of gain/loss (for example, high sodium meals pack on water weight but it comes off fast; and, I like a lot of women, gain several pounds in the week leading up to my period, etc). I get this time to figure out what exercises I like and which ones I despise, and to teach myself when to worry about weight gains and when to NOT PANIC. All this in preparation for the rest of my life, so that when I reached my goal, I had a firm foundation under me. I don't intend to do this again. I have yo-yo'd for close to half of my adult life, and I'm done. This time is the time I get it right, this is the time I learn all the things I just mentioned, this is the time I get my head around it and understand what goes on with my body.

So. Raw diet? Cleanse? These are yo-yo, fad-diet, RUN AWAY words. It's not something you can sustain for life. It won't teach you much about the things I mentioned above. So I know you feel kind of anxious to get the weight off, and you want it off as fast as possible, but really unless you want to be back here in 3 months, or 6, or a year or two years posting an "I'm back, starting over" post, you're going to be MUCH better served by taking the doable, sensible, realistic approach and learning some things instead of falling for yet another gimmick.

Respect ! Am like you! about half of my life was in yo yo diet but now i realise that it's about your life style not just a journey to only lose your over weight.
  • norasatqa
    norasatqa Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Think again about your life and eat clean :)
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    norasatqa wrote: »
    Think again about your life and eat clean well :)

FIFY ;) Thanks for the compliment upthread. I think it is important to note that "eat clean" is a hotly debated concept. Who defines what is "clean" and what is not? The terminology is much too subjective and quite honestly it often serves to complicate things for people to the point of giving up. You might say one food is "clean" and someone else would argue "no it's not" and then persons 3-981 chime in with their versions of what it means, and it can get very muddled and overwhelming. It's a smarter and frankly much easier thing to start simply: eat smaller portions of food you like. It pretty quickly follows that you learn that a smaller portion of Food X just isn't satisfying, or leaves you hungry, and the learning process begins.

That had been my downfall so many times before - trying to sort all the advice and figure out what I was doing BEFORE doing anything. Finally I understand that just STARTING SOMEWHERE is the key. It actually isn't necessary to get everything perfect from day 1! It was kind of a mind-blowing realization if I'm honest... I have a tendency to get hung up on doing everything "right." But there is so much out there that I would freeze and falter and question and waffle and fail.

It was actually in therapy for something completely unrelated to weight that I came to the discovery that there's no "perfect for everyone," an that if you never start, you never achieve. If, however, you just START, and make mistakes, and keep an open mind to learning as you go, that's where you find success.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Why? It's not going to work, and you know it's not healthy. (That sounds just like "stupid", sorry, imo.) Why not do something healthy that is also going to work, and start now?
  • z_roar
    z_roar Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Why? It's not going to work, and you know it's not healthy. (That sounds just like "stupid", sorry, imo.) Why not do something healthy that is also going to work, and start now?

Whoa whoa whoa! Eating raw isn't healthy?! Somehow I think veggies, legumes, fruit and nuts are all incredibly healthy.

The only reason I'd think it wouldn't be good long term is if you're not planning to commit to such a strict lifestyle. Other than that do what works for you! If you feel good go for it. You're fueling your body with nutrients so definitely not a bad thing
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I just suggest eating in a way that is sustainable for life. For me, that means all foods in moderation.

I question "raw diet cleanse" though. What are you hoping to accomplish? What foods are you eating raw? What are you trying to "cleanse"? (FYI, your kidneys and liver do all the cleansing you need. "Cleanses" or "Detoxes" are terms used by companies to tout their special diets and products for you to buy but don't actually cleanse anything).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I viewed dieting much the same way Phrick does. It was my time to LEARN how to eat for the rest of my life, so I only had to lose weight once.
    I learned to choose healthy foods, and prepare them to be delicious. And it worked. That was 14 years ago, and I've been maintaining (+-5LBS) since.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

^What she said.

It's truth.

I ate raw for a while, not the frutarian Freelee raw, but a more sane version, and it wasn't sustainable. It was very expensive and time consuming.

It's also no guarantee of losing weight. It's very easy to overeat soaked nuts and avocado. Ask me how I know this.

1. Use MFP to find a reasonable calorie goal
    2. Get a food scale
    3. Eat the foods you like in portions that fit within your calorie goals
    4. Get enough protein and healthy fat to feel satisfied and full while you're eating at deficit
    5. If you choose to do so, find an exercise/activity you enjoy and do it
    6. Realize that this process takes time and that you're learning new habits, it's okay to mess up. Just shake it off and start back up and move forward.
    7. Profit.
  • Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options

Exactly! It took 20 years of gaining and losing to finally realize that quick fixes NEVER work long term. If it's not something you can commit to for life, then it will not help you keep the weight off. Any one can lose weight, keeping it off is the real challenge.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Just be aware that many veggies actually are more nutritious cooked than raw. Tomatoes, all of the cruciferous veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, sprouts, cabbage), carrots, mushrooms, and spinach are common ones better cooked.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

Whoa whoa whoa! Eating raw isn't healthy?! Somehow I think veggies, legumes, fruit and nuts are all incredibly healthy.

Raw legumes aren't healthy at all.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

The only reason I'd think it wouldn't be good long term is if you're not planning to commit to such a strict lifestyle. Other than that do what works for you! If you feel good go for it. You're fueling your body with nutrients so definitely not a bad thing
    Raw beans? noo.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Oh my goodness, there is no reason to cleanse your diet, it does this all by itself through your poop and pee. I'm sure if you're eating all raw the bathroom has become a dear friend.

It is not the raw diet cleanse that is leading to weight loss. On this particular diet you are simply eating less calories than you expend, and probably water weight from less carbs and going to the bathroom a lot.

Here's the deal. You will lose weight on any diet if you eat at a deficit, but you won't lose weight if you eat at maintenance or more calories than you burn.

In other words, diet type is either preference or doctor's orders as to health, but for weight/fat loss you must eat less calories than you burn.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    norasatqa wrote: »
    Think again about your life and eat clean :)

Not necessary as to weight loss. You must eat less calories than you burn to lose weight. The path there is individual.
This discussion has been closed.