Any Vegan or vegetarians?

Options
Hi! I am currently working on eating less meat and meat products overall. I am looking for anyone who would like to add me and that have or do not have open Food Logs, so that I can inspire myself while making baby steps towards my goals. If you are that person, feel free to add me :-) Have a nice day!!!!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    There are tons of threads here for vegetarians and vegans looking to connect. If you search for those, you will find many people who have reduced or eliminated their consumption of animal products.
  • julesderamos
    julesderamos Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank you Janejellyroll!
  • justsusie998
    justsusie998 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I want to be a vegetarian too. My downfall is that after a day or two, I start craving chicken, cheese, & milk
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I want to be a vegetarian too. My downfall is that after a day or two, I start craving chicken, cheese, & milk

vegetarians can have cheese and milk. A vegetarian is someone who doesn't eat meat or the flesh of another living creature.

There are:
    LactoOvo Vegetarians= Eat milk and cheese
    Lacto Vegetarians- Eat milk
    Ovo Vegetarians- Eat eggs
    Pescetarians- Don't eat meat but eat fish (usually also milk and cheese)
    Vegans- Who do not eat any product that comes from an animal (milk, eggs, cheese, honey, etc.)

I personally have been a lactoovo vegetarian my entire life (minus my first 5 years of life where i was strictly vegan).

If the only issue is chicken, there are many great substitutes for it. But to each their own.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Vegans- Who do not eat any product that comes from an animal (milk, eggs, cheese, honey, etc.)

Isn't the criteria to not eat or use any product from an animal, so vegans also don't wear leather (or silk, or wool, probably others I'm not thinking of)?

ETA: fur. I really missed the obvious example on that one.
  • mariearcher357
    mariearcher357 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegan. Have been for 7 years x
  • ekruska802
    ekruska802 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My husband and I started doing Meatless Monday a few years ago. As we learned more and more delicious meatless recipes, we discovered that we were planning those foods on days other than Monday. I think we have cut our meat consumption by about 70% this way.
  • melissalatzel25
    melissalatzel25 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    so glad to see more vegans! its the best way to eat hands down! so much fun in the kitchen making raw desserts that are actually beneficial and also eating way more calories per day and keeping weight off is too good to be true, just shows whats meant for a human body :) if you put a baby in a cot with a bunny or an apple, and the baby eats the bunny and plays with the apple, then ill believe you if you say humans are meat eaters
  • HighCarbVegan85
    HighCarbVegan85 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for a while, because I was craving cheese a LOT. But after educating myself a bit more and realizing that animal fats are simply not good for my body and health, I went vegan. It's hard to make the transition, but making the decision is step one! Anyone can add me for motivation :)
  • AoifeElmo
    AoifeElmo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am vegan, best change I ever made. It took me a few months to eat healthier and not have cravings for animal products but now I don't miss the taste at all. By eating well (wholefood, non processed foods) I got my blood sugar level under control, I feel better. I realised when I missed certain foods like pizza, it wasn't the cheese all over it I missed just the 'pizza experience' or the 'burger experience' or the burito or whatever tasty food... Then I tried them without meat or cheese and they were delicious and healthier. There are plenty of quorn products you could replace meat with for curries, enchiladas, fajitas, stews, sandwiches,etc. There are many vegan cheeses available too for pizza or sandwiches. I especially love Tofutti cream cheeses, on crackers or as a dip, tastes exactly like dairy cream cheese. Honestly once you try new recipes that have so much flavour,you won't even need meat alternatives or cheese! Pasta with red pepper sauce is always easy and tasty, thin sweet potato fries (roasted though) with chilli sprinkleD on top - yum! Avocado on toast! Wraps filled with chilli beans, rice, onions, Tofu, Peppers.. Nom! Oats made with water with peanut butter mixed in just as creamy - no milk needed. If you need any help with more food ideas just message me!
  • julesderamos
    julesderamos Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    AoifeElmo wrote: »
    I am vegan, best change I ever made. It took me a few months to eat healthier and not have cravings for animal products but now I don't miss the taste at all. By eating well (wholefood, non processed foods) I got my blood sugar level under control, I feel better. I realised when I missed certain foods like pizza, it wasn't the cheese all over it I missed just the 'pizza experience' or the 'burger experience' or the burito or whatever tasty food... Then I tried them without meat or cheese and they were delicious and healthier. There are plenty of quorn products you could replace meat with for curries, enchiladas, fajitas, stews, sandwiches,etc. There are many vegan cheeses available too for pizza or sandwiches. I especially love Tofutti cream cheeses, on crackers or as a dip, tastes exactly like dairy cream cheese. Honestly once you try new recipes that have so much flavour,you won't even need meat alternatives or cheese! Pasta with red pepper sauce is always easy and tasty, thin sweet potato fries (roasted though) with chilli sprinkleD on top - yum! Avocado on toast! Wraps filled with chilli beans, rice, onions, Tofu, Peppers.. Nom! Oats made with water with peanut butter mixed in just as creamy - no milk needed. If you need any help with more food ideas just message me!

Thank you sooooo much for all the insights :-) I take baby steps, eating vegetables has never been an issue for me, but eating more consciously, and making changes is the way to go for me right now. I am super glad for everyone who took the time and will take the time to answer. Have a nice day!!!!
  • ShadowDance
    ShadowDance Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan too and you can add me if you like and also ask me any questions you may have. I think it definitely makes sense to take baby steps and give yourself time. It's a transition that can be very fast for some and slow for others.
  • YeaYeaPueblo
    YeaYeaPueblo Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I've spent most of this year being vegan, although I transitioned to vegetarian in July (feta did me in). I find a lot of inspiration from minimalistbaker.com and cookieandkate.com. I also love the Oh She Glows, and Thug Kitchen cookbooks. I recently got a blendtec too, so I'm super into smoothies right now. There are lots of filling vegan and vegetarian foods out there!
  • 87bluu
    87bluu Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for 3 years before I became a vegan. The key for me was making one small change at a time. I first stopped eating land animals but continued to eat seafood. Then I became a full blown vegetarian. Then I stopped using cows milk in recipes, after that I stopped eggs and then cheese. I let myself learn how to shop and cook differently one step at a time. Too much change at once would have ruined my progress and I wanted a life style change not a diet. I don't miss the animal products, and I now hate the smell of cooking meat. Because I found satisfying alternatives I never feel deprived or like I'm missing out when I'm out with non-vegans (ya, I slum it with non-vegans lol). It's ok to take it slow. Good luck!!!
  • misskelli16
    misskelli16 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Feel free to friend me. I am a vegetarian working to eat cleaner and more vegan. I ate vegetarian for years but slowly got way off track after marrying a meat eater. I'm back on track and want cleaner and more raw food and to lose weight. I love green smoothies.

• FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    so glad to see more vegans! its the best way to eat hands down! so much fun in the kitchen making raw desserts that are actually beneficial and also eating way more calories per day and keeping weight off is too good to be true,

That's because it isn't
    just shows whats meant for a human body :) if you put a baby in a cot with a bunny or an apple, and the baby eats the bunny and plays with the apple, then ill believe you if you say humans are meat eaters

More nonsense. We evolved to be omnivores. Vegetatianism/Veganism is a choice.

• perips84
    perips84 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan too :D
  • veganstephanie
    veganstephanie Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Vegan for 11 years. Feel free to add me.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan. And I am completely perplexed because I am eating up to 2400 calories a day and still only weigh 97 pounds. And I am less active because I am recovering from an injury. I knew I had a high TDEE when as a dancer and lifting weights. But, I guess I have a fast metabolism. I want to gain back to 102.
  • caramel_latte_xo
    Options
    My diet is mostly vegetarian. I'm moving towards a plant based/vegan diet/lifestyle.