Please walk me through logging my recipe!!

I have been struggling to learn the recipe builder and staring dinner right now tonights going to be chili

So far I have the venison burger cooking so I will drain the fat and have a cooked weight shortly

I have 2 cans of Goya small red beans 15.5 oz ..... 439 g

2 jarsPrego light smart traditional spaghetti sauce 23.25oz 659 g

I might add some stewed tomatoes depending how eveything look when I put it all together. I will add some seasonings and stuff but what I need to know is do I weigh the finally product then creat a serving for the number of grams I have in weight?

I just hate that I am having such a hard time with this! Thanks everyone!

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,724 Member
    Weigh the total yield. In number of servings, enter the weight, like 3427 for 3427g. When you take a portion like 289g, log 289 servings. Tada! Math is done and calories calculated for you :)
  • blue_eyes1978
    blue_eyes1978 Posts: 127 Member
    tdbjp1knqkly.png

Ok it was trick logging the ingredients but I will continue to work at this and hope to get better over time.

My total weight of the entire dish was 4425 g

I consumed 330 g for my dinner!

I am hoping that I geot everything correct I consumed more calories that I thought I am just logging this Sunday morning which I ate it Saturday night and it put me over my daily calorie allowance! I feel a little bummed I didn't log it all and know what I was eating before I ate it.

I did have a hard time finding the Gram weights for the Furmanos tomatoes I used they were 28oz cans 794g and the selections I had to choose from were not in grams so I did the best I could to make what was there work.

Let me know what you think of how this looks and if it appears to be right and close to being accurate!

Thanks!!
  • blue_eyes1978
    actually I just noticed the venison in the ingredients says with 10% beef that is not right!! I uses all venison 930 grams! I guess I should try and change that!
  • blue_eyes1978
    edited December 2015
    ok so I found a couple of things I needed to change! My onion I put it is as 2500g so that needed to change to 225g I forgot to add a decimal in the selection I choose for that! Thne I shcaned to venison only and found a gram setting for that so MY amout of calores consumed is 226 for 330g

It was saying 766 for 330 g before I changed the venison burger and the onion log I feel a lot better with this I still hope I have done it right.

I went to a baby shower yesterday and I nibbled on stuff that I am not even sure who to log so I chose the not logging for lunch and it gave me 1000 calories so I should be good for the day! I am only showing I went over my calories by 300 for the day at this point and I don't think the things i ate at the shower were 1000 worth of calories. :)

nl0qzksg021q.png

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,724 Member
    Hey, sorry I forgot to bookmark this!

Just wanted to say, your recipe involves a lot of ingredients and you're handling it like a pro! Great job, you've got this
  • blue_eyes1978
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Hey, sorry I forgot to bookmark this!

Just wanted to say, your recipe involves a lot of ingredients and you're handling it like a pro! Great job, you've got this

Thank you!! Glad to know I'm on the right track!!

I will continue to work at it!
  • bdfarrall
    bdfarrall Posts: 28 Member
    Out of curiosity, why is everything measured in grams?
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited December 2015
    bdfarrall wrote: »

While I can't answer for blue_eyes, for me I weigh everything in grams because it is much more accurate than weight ounces or measuring cups/spoons. 100 grams is 100 grams, period. 1 cup of, say, flour should be 120g according to the nutrition data on most packages- but if one person stirs or sifts it first and then measures it into a 1 cup, it might weigh only 80 grams - or someone else might tamp a knife into the bottom and then level it off, which could pack more like 140g into the cup.

Cooking and baking by weights ensures a more accurate count, and a MUCH more reliable, duplicatable outcome of your recipe, too.
  • blue_eyes1978
    edited December 2015
    Phrick wrote: »
    bdfarrall wrote: »

While I can't answer for blue_eyes, for me I weigh everything in grams because it is much more accurate than weight ounces or measuring cups/spoons. 100 grams is 100 grams, period. 1 cup of, say, flour should be 120g according to the nutrition data on most packages- but if one person stirs or sifts it first and then measures it into a 1 cup, it might weigh only 80 grams - or someone else might tamp a knife into the bottom and then level it off, which could pack more like 140g into the cup.

Cooking and baking by weights ensures a more accurate count, and a MUCH more reliable, duplicatable outcome of your recipe, too.

This is exactly why I do it!

When I first started on MFP I was using cups and then I read a lot and learned that 1 cup of yogurt is not as accurate as weighing it. So I played with it and found it to be extremely true. I started losing weight pretty quick and now I am playing with the recipe builder to make my logging even more accurate before I plateau and drive my self nuts. This week I have upped my work outs going from Lindsay Brin's Boot Camp 2 to Jillian Michael's one week shred. I am up for a another new challenge to keep my body changing. What I love about Jillian's work out is the am is strength training and PM is cardio!! I hope to see some good results this week since I have put is so much effort! :)