Do I even have to exercise?

Options
I follow fitness pay by eating 1400 and do I even have to exercise to lose weight?

And which matters more calories or carbs?

I follow calories to a T however I tend to go over on carbs every day, is that ok?

Replies

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Do you have to? No, you can lose weight without it. There are benefits to doing so, however:
    1. You get more calories to eat per day for the same level of weight loss
    2. Strength training helps you preserve muscle, so you lose a better ratio of fat to muscle
    3. It improves your overall health and fitness - weight is one key element but not the only one.

As to calories vs. carbs - worry about calories unless you have a medical need to worry about carbs.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    Do you have to? No, you can lose weight without it. There are benefits to doing so, however:
    2. Strength training helps you preserve muscle, so you lose a better ratio of fat to muscle
    3. It improves your overall health and fitness - weight is one key element but not the only one.

As to calories vs. carbs - worry about calories unless you have a medical need to worry about carbs.

What he said
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    No, you GET to exercise. Cuz it feel awesome!
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I've read before that cardio makes you a smaller version of yourself while strength training reshapes your body. I imagine you could replace "cardio" with "eating at a deficit without exercising" and it'd still be true. Maybe not.. ?
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    In the short term, eating fewer calories than you burn will lead to weight loss, so there's nothing wrong with just eating less.

In the longer term, for overall health and cardiovascular function, you'll want to consider what kinds of regular activity you can build into your life and pay some attention to the nutritional content of your diet.

But hey-- starting out by dropping some lbs through calorie restriction is a great place to start, and will hopefully give you some early results that will inspire you!
  • mandipandi75
    mandipandi75 Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    The above posters have great advise. I do want to add though, when you lose a decent amount of weight, doing some resistence exercises will help you tone up and look/feel better. You can go with just counting calories to lose weight but you will get more bang for your calorie buck if you focus first on lean proteins and nutrient dense veggies before carbs.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

This. Movement is a privilege. Just ask anyone who has lost the ability.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

This. Movement is a privilege. Just ask anyone who has lost the ability.

AMEN.
  • JmoneyManCash
    JmoneyManCash Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Amen, thanks everyone I appreciate the support. God bless
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »

This
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Do you want to look good naked? If you do then lift!!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I follow fitness pay by eating 1400 and do I even have to exercise to lose weight?

No, lots of people lose weight without exercising and lots of people put weight back on after the stop "dieting" and fall back into old habits.

Aside from improved health and fitness a compelling reason to exercise regularly (and you don't have to train to run a marathon or be able to bench press 300 lbs) is that active people are more likely to keep the weigh off in the long term and typically have a greater sense of well being.......exercise can actually make you feel happier.

Being a couch potato is denying what we evolved to do, we're built to move and be physically active.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

And which matters more calories or carbs?

I follow calories to a T however I tend to go over on carbs every day, is that ok?

You do not have to exercise to lose weight. I lost all of mine without adding any exercise (I was already walking the dog, and I continued the same). You should make sure you get at least the minimum activity in for health, which does not need to be deliberate exercise. If you're on your feet for your job, or running errands, for example, you probably have the bare minimum covered.

That said, I started exercising after hitting goal weight and have kept it up for a couple of years now because I feel better and have more energy when I do. Plus, I like to eat more than I'd normally get to with my height, weight and a desk job. Exercise helps to let me fit in some treats.

Going over on carbs is fine so long as you're not regularly shorting yourself on proteins, fats, and micronutrients.
  • Target_150lbs
    Target_150lbs Posts: 1 Member
    Options