600 cal shake 3 hours before bed

Options
I asked this question before, but my app closed before i could see it. My total calorie goals to gain 1 pound weekly are 2400, but i'm having a hard time reaching it. Does having a high calorie shake 3 hours before sleep a good idea? Just to note, i do not care too much about fat gains as i have so little body fat, i have become infertile

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Meal timing doesn't matter. It wouldn't matter if you had that shake when you woke up or when you went to bed. Have it whenever works for you. Are you eating calorie dense foods like nuts, nut butters, dried fruits and cooking in oil?
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I love a good milkshake 2 hours before bed. They probably can have over 1000 calories depending on what I make. If you need more calories to gain weight and you are getting sufficient protein from the rest of your food I say go for it. (or, if this is a protein shake, then just make sure you have enough fat and other nutrients for the day).
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    As long as you feel fine (i.e. it doesn't give you indigestion or make you feel sick) go for it!
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
  • ryanflebbe
    ryanflebbe Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    If you are so thin you don't have your . and it's not because you are an elite athlete, your plan sounds good. You are fasting while you sleep, obviously, so it makes sense to load up on nutrients before bed if your main goal is simply gaining weight. If you start gaining weight and don't like the fat:muscle ratio you can change your diet and exercise strategy then. Don't listen to people who totally discount meal timing or macronutrient percentages. They matter, especially if you care how you look after gaining or losing weight. What is in this shake?
  • brittmassey92
    brittmassey92 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I've been struggling for years trying to gain weight! My struggles have led me here! If there is any good tips or if any of you have something that is actually working that you want to share, I'd love to know! Thanks guys.
  • scarlet56393
    scarlet56393 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you for everyone who answered. So far i have been able to reach my intake goal, despite the discomfort that comes with it. So far i have been having 2 boost compacts ( 1/2 a cup is 250 cal; that would count for 1) a few hours before bed. Its been working very well, as a gained a pound this past week doing it. They are expensive however, do any of you have a recipe for a shake that is 500 cal, but only has the volume of 1 cup?
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I love making smoothies before bed (it's my kids fav snack)

I use a bowl a frozen fruit,a banana, a lil bit of ice cream, and some milk or juice. Add in a scoop of protein powder and you're probably close to about 500, depending on your volumes.
  • ryanflebbe
    Options
    Hi everyone! I've been struggling for years trying to gain weight! My struggles have led me here! If there is any good tips or if any of you have something that is actually working that you want to share, I'd love to know! Thanks guys.
    Track your calories and be consistent. People trying to lose weight always say they don't eat that much, but when you track it they are overeating. Same with gaining weight. I've heard "I eat a ton, I'm constantly eating" so many times, but when you track it for awhile, it averages out to simply be the daily average equivalent of maintenance.
  • ryanflebbe
    Options
    Thank you for everyone who answered. So far i have been able to reach my intake goal, despite the discomfort that comes with it. So far i have been having 2 boost compacts ( 1/2 a cup is 250 cal; that would count for 1) a few hours before bed. Its been working very well, as a gained a pound this past week doing it. They are expensive however, do any of you have a recipe for a shake that is 500 cal, but only has the volume of 1 cup?

I used to make a shake with whole milk, protein powder, peanut butter, chocolate syrup, and a little table sugar. It tasted amazing. I could drink a 16-20oz shake anytime. If I felt full, I would drink it because it tasted so good and just get a little fuller.You would have to figure out the amount of ingredients for your calorie goal, and you may not want to add protein powder, substitute cocoa for the chocolate syrup, artificial sweetener for the sugar, etc. but if you like peanut butter and chocolate, it's a starting place. It's not the healthiest thing, but neither is being severely underweight.
  • dallas_33
    dallas_33 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Following...great tips!