advice please

Options
Hello I am currently 103 & my goal is 140. I know the app says I can gain one pound in one week but I wanted to know if it was possible to gain more than that in a week. & how long would it take to reach my goal. Does exercise affect my weight gain? Should I gain and then tone or exercise as I gain ? What foods should I eat? I get full fast . Please help.

Replies

• cocoradical
    cocoradical Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It's possible to gain more than one pound a week. Although I don't think that would be considered a healthy gain. Also, that would be pretty hard to do. The app provides information on how long you'll gain based on your "diary".

Yes, exercise does affect your weight. If you're trying to gain weight, do more weight training with less or no cardio at all. It's always better to exercise as you gain. That way you'll have more muscle mass than fats. You should eat 50% carbs 30% fats 20% protein a day, with 1gram of protein per 1lbs of body weight.

Try eating a little bit more than what you ate the last time. Sometimes it's just a matter of how much food intake your body is used to when eating. Try drinking water an hour or two after meals, because water can make you feel full already.
  • moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Take it slow. If you gain too fast it will be mostly fat. Also, yes exercise with it. Be sure and do both strength training and cardio. If your weight gain stalls after several weeks then increase your calories be several hundred. Do this until you are consistently gaining about 1lb/wk.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How much fat do you want to gain vs how much muscle? The higher the surplus, the more fat. The less weight training, the more fat. Generally, muscle want to slow bulk 250 or 10% over your tdee), to minimize fat gains. One thing i would recommend ia figuring out what you want your body to look like so you dont get in a cycle of large bulks and cuts.

Although, i do recognized that in cased of being underweight that doctors would prefer some fadt gain to help regulate body functions.
  • shecurly
    shecurly Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming for a curvy body but with toned legs and arms. Nothing too masculine
    psulemon wrote: »
    How much fat do you want to gain vs how much muscle? The higher the surplus, the more fat. The less weight training, the more fat. Generally, muscle want to slow bulk 250 or 10% over your tdee), to minimize fat gains. One thing i would recommend ia figuring out what you want your body to look like so you dont get in a cycle of large bulks and cuts.

Although, i do recognized that in cased of being underweight that doctors would prefer some fadt gain to help regulate body functions.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    shecurly wrote: »
    I'm aiming for a curvy body but with toned legs and arms. Nothing too masculine
    psulemon wrote: »

Well you are a woman so muscular probably wont happen (also maintaining slightly higher body fat will prevent that) and curves are based on genetics. Just like you cant spot reduce you cant spot gain.

I would still bulk slow so it doesnt have a big impact on your blood work (btw, if you havent gotten it recently you probably should so you can monitor to ensure its not going south). I would also weight train or some kind of resistance training so some gain is muscle.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Average muscle growth per month: 2lbs....any excess will most likely be fat/ water weight.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Average muscle growth per month: 2lbs....any excess will most likely be fat/ water weight.

That's a good figure for men (given adequate protein intake and a reasonable strength training program) - for women it's normally about half that - .25 lbs./week or 1 lb./month. Women don't have the same hormonal environment as men (notably testosterone), so their muscle gains are proportionally less.
  • shecurly
    shecurly Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys !