How many fruits and veggies a day?

Options
Hey guys!

Just wondering, for someone (23, female, 120 lbs) like me to lose weight, what is the correct amount of fruits and vegetables to eat a day. I never know if I am eating too much or too little!

Thank you!

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    There's no "correct" amount of fruits and veggies to eat to lose weight except make sure all your food puts you at a caloric deficit.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    It's not about the number of servings of any one food here .....Weight Watchers ?(and others systems might be).

Here you put in your weight loss goals & MFP gives you "macros" .... protien, carbs, fat, etc.

MFP also counts sugars ..... but unless you have a medical reason to watch sugars .... you can choose to see a different goal (say fiber).

Veggies & fruits contribute towards carbs & fiber (a little fat too) . Again, if you have medical issues ..... you may want to limit carbs.

For veggies I pretty much eat as much as I want ....... certain (high calorie, starchy) veggies have to be limited, but all else is good.

For fruits (the sugar brings up the calories) .... so these too are limited because I need to get appropriate protein & fats first.
  • bad_hair_bear
    Options
    It depends who you listen to. The NHS in the UK recommends at least 5 different portions of fruit and vegetables per day (with a portion being a handful of the fruit/veg in question). Different countries have different recommended amounts, but I think they all fall between 5 and 9 separate portions.

This is general health advice though, and certainly not specific to weight loss, and it's not necessarily "correct". Personally, I'd pay attention to your micro-nutrients, and use fruits/veggies to keep these in line rather than aiming for a specific number of portions daily. The key to weightloss is simply calories in < calories out, and I'm sure it's possible to lose weight without touching a single lettuce leaf if you so desired.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. I eat a piece/one cup of fruit after I workout most of the time but honestly, I can't remember the last time I ate a vegetable. Maybe a few weeks ago. I'm making a wrap with lettuce and onion tonight but I don't really eat vegetables. Also, I'm in the best shape of my life.
  • jennaberardino
    jennaberardino Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! Maybe a better question would be is there a right or wrong veggie to eat? One better than the other?
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! Maybe a better question would be is there a right or wrong veggie to eat? One better than the other?
    Whatever fits your macro and micro needs. I take a multivitamin and eat cookies. Great results, too.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    It depends what you eat over the day...and wanting to be healthy.

I started off on MFP as a big meat eater but around 4 months ago I became vegetarian.

So I have been on both sides of the coin with meat and veg.

IMHO it is about eating what you want to eat to feel healthy. We all know cakes/sodas are not the way to go. So if you want a piece of fruit or you want to eat some veg..then you know they are going to give you some good nutrition.

Everything in moderation. Veg is full of lots of good stuff as is meat and fruit. I think the main thing to steer clear of is processed foods/packets/tins

Food is not your enemy :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!

Just wondering, for someone (23, female, 120 lbs) like me to lose weight, what is the correct amount of fruits and vegetables to eat a day. I never know if I am eating too much or too little!

Thank you!

To lose weight, there is no answer...calorie in/out. For proper nutrition...about 4-6 servings of veg and 2-3 servings of fruit if you're trying to get the vast majority of your vitamins and minerals from food. But you also need to make sure you're getting enough protein and your essential fats as well. You can't just eat fruits and veg and be healthy.
  • Yuriame
    Yuriame Posts: 4
    Options
    In the UK the government guideline is 5 portions per day, but you should eat whatever makes your diet balanced. Personally, I usually have two portions of vegetables with every meal opting to fill the "potato gap" with cauliflower, carrots and the like. I tend to use fruit as snacks. I do this is because you get more for nutrition and less calories per gram in vegetables. I average about 6 portions per day.

I other words though, as long as you're aiming to maintain a balanced diet and a calorie deficit you should be losing weight. Of course if that deficit is 100kcals a day you'll lose it very slowly as I'm sure your'e perfectly aware haha, but just to illustrate my point xD.

Stay healthy!
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

All veggies are good, green leafy ones have lots of iron, carrots are also good. I would not take one veg over another.

The main thing is cooking them. Steaming or stir frying is best as they are vitamin soluble. Which means if you boil them you are losing a lot of the vitamin contents.

Do not store them in the fridge, as they are still living even after they come out of the ground and the fridge does not do the whole night and day thing to keep them at their best.

ETA someone has mentioned potatoes..nothing wrong with the humble potato!!
  • bad_hair_bear
    Options

The "best" veggies to eat are the ones you enjoy, and will happily eat. There's no point in forcing yourself to eat certain veggies simply because "they're the best", if you really don't like them. Eat what you enjoy, and just make sure you watch the calories (fruits + veggies can have more calories than you think - avocados for instance are high calorie).

From a micro-nutrient standpoint, I believe the wider the range of veggies the better, as they all contain different minerals and vitamins and such.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    You don't need to lose weight you look great!!

But as others have said a little a day is fine. 5 a day isn't realistic, IMO, I aim for 25 a week.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Some fruits are higher in sugar content ..... pineapple for example

Some fruits are higher in fiber ..... prunes for example

Some fruits have higher vitamin x ... vitamin y, vitamin z ................... it's all relative. I like a comination so I get vitamins x, y & z

Starchy veggies (potatoes, peas, corn) ..... are higher calorie. They are not bad (although some would argue)...... but leafy green .... generally the darker the color the more nutrients.

I don't think there is such a thing as a "bad" veggie
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    I personally have a mental goal of 6 servings of fruits and veggies every day, but that's entirely based on broscience and I count beans mentally as a "veggie".