Intervals

Options
How often should you do treadmill intervals for weight loss? I will be walking on the days I am not doing the intervals (will be strength training as well) I will start off with 30 min, 2 min walk, 1 min run only because I am out of shape and don't want to try and jump right into running. But am not sure. I have heard once a week and 4 times a week. Any suggestions?

Replies

• busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    It's real a personal preference. Since you are already doing walking and strength I'd say 2 maybe 3 days for intervals. Remember rest days are good too.
  • spm2010
    spm2010 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I was thinking 3 would be good too. 3 days intervals and 3 days walking with 3 strength days, seems like a realistic plan lol
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Most beginning running plans recommend 3 runs per week. A popular plan is Couch to 5K, which begins by alternating 1-minute running intervals with 90-second walking intervals. You gradually build up to running for 30 minutes straight.
  • Getty59
    Getty59 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    busyPK wrote: »
    It's real a personal preference. Since you are already doing walking and strength I'd say 2 maybe 3 days for intervals. Remember rest days are good too.

Are intervals necessary? I have been doing cardio for about a month started doing 5 min warmup walk then running for 15 min. I am now up to 2.5 miles on the treadmill with 20-25 min of running only 5 min warmup walk and 10 min cool down on a lvl 5 incline. I do not run then walk then run etc.... should i?
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Twice a week. 20 mins ea.
  • spm2010
    spm2010 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Getty59 wrote: »

Are intervals necessary? I have been doing cardio for about a month started doing 5 min warmup walk then running for 15 min. I am now up to 2.5 miles on the treadmill with 20-25 min of running only 5 min warmup walk and 10 min cool down on a lvl 5 incline. I do not run then walk then run etc.... should i?

I find when I do intervals the little fatty bulges on my lower body disappear plus I don't have time to walk 60 min 6 days a week and I am not in good shape yet to be able to run for 20-30 min straight, One day I hope

• Getty59
    Options
    spm2010 wrote: »

I find when I do intervals the little fatty bulges on my lower body disappear plus I don't have time to walk 60 min 6 days a week and I am not in good shape yet to be able to run for 20-30 min straight, One day I hope

I hear you. I was kinda piggybacking off your thread lol to someone else who might know.
  • Getty59
    Options
    I hear you. I was kinda piggybacking off your thread lol to someone else who might know
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options

Intervals aren't needed, but a lot of people work up to jogging for 5/10/Eric minutes that way. I jog 30 minutes some days, then others I do intervals of a minute of walking then a minute sprint then repeat.