Fitness Trackers

Options
OGJake12
OGJake12 Posts: 181 Member
I know all about a lot of fitness tracking devices when it comes to physical activity... But I am looking for a fitness tracker that kind of specializes in hiking/climbing, but can also help me track my workouts (Running, walking, weights, etc). Meaning that I'd like it to have GPS, in addition to having the ability to track elevation changes. I go on short two mile hikes all the time, but they may gain 2000 ft in elevation while doing it... So normal trackers don't give me accurate measurements.

Does anyone have something that does that?

I do have an iPhone, but it kills my battery to run the GPS throughout my hikes (Even with cellular data turned off). On a 4 hour hike it'll drop around 60-80% from its starting percentage, and I have a few very very long hikes planned for the near future.

Thanks

I'm also always looking for more motivating friends, so if you'd like, add me.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I use Map My Run, and I don't do a ton of elevation stuff, but I know it's noticed hills on my runs before. I don't know how much you can add to it, I solely use it to track my outdoor runs, but I think you can add workouts. That might only be on the paid app, though, I just have the free version. It does link to their website.
  • OGJake12
    Options
    I'm looking to avoid using my phone. I'm looking for a separate device so that I can preserve my battery.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Garmin forerunners (at least some models) track elevation changes. At least one of the models does so through some barometric thingamajig (rather than map-based). I would look into those. They will do everything you're looking for.
  • OGJake12
    Options
    I read that the Barometric changes aren't very accurate and need to be calibrated all the time. Is this how phones track it through apps?
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Forerunner 110 (GPS and HRM) tracks speed, distance, elevation and calories burned. You get maps of your trips on the computer.
  • OGJake12
    Options
    How much do the maps cost?
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I use a motoactv, and I believe it tracks elevation, although I don't use it for that. It has a music player, tracks mileage, it a HRM, and tracks pace....I love it!
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    There is no additional charge for the Garmin site. I have only had it a short time and have not gone hiking in the woods yet. So I am not sure what those maps would look like the regular ones show the streets.
  • OGJake12
    Options
    I use a motoactv, and I believe it tracks elevation, although I don't use it for that. It has a music player, tracks mileage, it a HRM, and tracks pace....I love it!

I almost bought one of those, but for some weird reason, they are not compatible with iPhones.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I'm looking to avoid using my phone. I'm looking for a separate device so that I can preserve my battery.

I wasn't sure if that's what you meant or not. I'm no help then. As others have mentioned, perhaps look into a Garmin product.
  • OGJake12
    Options
    There is no additional charge for the Garmin site. I have only had it a short time and have not gone hiking in the woods yet. So I am not sure what those maps would look like the regular ones show the streets.

Ok great I'll check them out.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers/8GB-or-16GB-MOTOACTV/79070,en_US,pd.html

This might be your best bet. I don't know if it does hills, though. And I found this: "the device is completely a standalone product so you don’t need a smartphone at all. The only feature you’d miss as an iOS user is the phone notification function."
  • OGJake12
    Options
    http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers/8GB-or-16GB-MOTOACTV/79070,en_US,pd.html

This might be your best bet. I don't know if it does hills, though. And I found this: "the device is completely a standalone product so you don’t need a smartphone at all. The only feature you’d miss as an iOS user is the phone notification function."

I was not aware of that. Awesome. I hope it tracks elevation.
  • johne808
    johne808 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a GPS logger from i-got-U that can do hiking, cycling, running, etc. It simply logs the x, y, z, and t every few seconds. No realtime readout. Must take home and connect to PC. But it has cool features for showing photos at the locations where you took them, shows your route on GoogleMap, can post entire trip to web. But will report distance, speed, elevation change, calories burned, etc.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin that I wear on hikes, trail and off trail and scrambling. It does have the gps, elevation, etc. I like that I can upload to the site and also share it with whoever else was with me. It would work for other activities too but minus hiking, walking and jogging I find the watch face too large to wear. But I believe the updated model is not as bulky.
  • juliapeter47
    juliapeter47 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Grate Post..........
    Thanks
  • runforestrun35
    runforestrun35 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I love my Garmn forerunner 110, easy to use and can all be downloaded to the computer for free, and has a heart rate monitor!