300 lb female

Options
I've been over 250 lbs since I was in middle school. Trying to get healthy alone has gotten me nowhere in the past so I can really use some support. My goal is to lose at least 150 lbs. Man that number is extremely discouraging :/. I haven't weighted that much since maybe 3rd/4th grade. I can't give up this time. I've let my weight, anxiety, and depression hold me back from doing so many things.. I don't want to miss out on seeing my niece grow up too...

Thank you for reading. God bless <3

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I just wanna say I feel ya...I weighed 240 at age sixteen, and my highest was 307 (around age 30).
    Trying to eat healthier and exercise more helped me get from 307 down to the 270 range, but it took several years and a LOT of dedication. For me, it was logging all of my food and staying within my calories on this website that has helped me get into the 165-175 range where I am much healthier and happier - and it honestly felt a lot easier for me than my previous "healthy" attempts. I can relate to you because the last time I weighed this amount, I was in middle school. If I can do it, you probably can too!!
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I started at nearly 300 (287) and am 161 now. Took me 1.5 years to get to this point and am 7 lbs away from being a healthy bmi.

I'd recommend setting small milestones of 5 lbs increments, setting small bmi milestones, looking to dropping a single clothing size at time, things like that. And make these the prizes you keep your eye on. Then make daily commitments that work towards achieving these small milestones. Like doing all you can to log accurately and hit your daily/weekly calorie goals. I also got a pedometer and have a daily step goal.

Keeping to your small daily commitments is like a daily self-esteem boost. The focus shouldn't be so much on where you want to ultimately go (which often functions just as a reminder that you're not where you want to be and how far away it is), but rather keeping your focus on doing the little daily things is what will make you feel accomplished and like you're going in the right direction. When you hit your small milestones, you can celebrate and be reassured of the fact that your small daily commitments are paying off.

Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat.

Good luck. :)
  • ahanson80
    ahanson80 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just keep on it. Log everything and try to get some exercise in during the week. Even walking around the block is a start. You'll get there!
  • mmhmmegan
    mmhmmegan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm always looking for new friends add me if you wish :)
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I agree with setting smaller goals. When I started out I had almost 95 lbs to lose. It seemed overwhelming. I broke down into 10% goals and also set mini achievements. I reward myself when I reach my 10% goal (working on my third one so far) and celebrate mini achievements (half way to goal, out of 200's etc.). It has helped me not not focus on the big number. I've lost almost 56 lbs this year and now reaching my goal weight of 145 lbs doesn't seem impossible. Let me tell you, at almost 240 lbs it did.

Good luck to you.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I just wanna chime in once more regarding small goals. I actually NEVER saw myself getting to where I am currently and lost all of my weight in smaller chunks, in fact at one point I truly believed 220 was my goal weight...for me personally, being an impatient perfectionist, I don't think I could have ever started if I knew I was trying to lose 130-140 lb...it would have overwhelmed me! Maybe focus on 10 or 20 at a time and then keep resetting those goals? I know everyone's different in what motivates them though :smile:
  • emalethmoon
    emalethmoon Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Just here to say that I was fat from 9 years old until 33 years old. One here on year let me drop 90lbs. If you're like me, when you really commit to logging your food, that first 80 pounds will just slide off of you. Now, I've been at a stand-still for over a year....so that's the next hurdle.
  • 6rilove
    6rilove Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the advice everyone. I really appreciate it!