Anybody else resisting strength training?

Options
2»

Replies

• Dariasen
    Dariasen Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I don't see myself being someone who will be able to get to the gym or will want to lift weights anytime in the near future, but I started with the You Are Your Own Gym body-weight program at home and it's challenging without feeling overwhelming.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Strength training is not my favorite thing. But I'm over 50 and I know how important it is (use it or lose it).

Anyway, videos (Kelly Coffey Meyer) and dumbbells are my go-to. For me it was about finding the right fit. If the gym, or paper workouts aren't your thing....keep looking.
  • DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    You really don't need to do that much (as in stay in the gym lifting for hours). You should find a way to do it though. Compound exercises, 2-3 sets, 8-12 reps, 2-3 times a week, progressively increase the resistance.

This is my approach...

I did at the beginning too as I enjoyed cardio so much but in maintenance I started realising I had to do some form of strength to build muscle mass and improve my bone density - that'll help us age better/healthier...
    so give it a try and stick to it, you will come to really enjoy it especially when in as little as a month of being consistent you will be proud of the muscle/firmness you will have already achieved. To me that is all I needed to keep going :smile:

This is what happened to me.

These are what I do and they provide an element of cardio as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg1RPoXBCNk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM-Z3axdxUg
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    The act of strength training is not my favorite thing in the world, but the benefits I get are what keep my going back.

What is that goes through your mind that makes you not enjoy it? Is there a specific reason you don't like it?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Strength training is not my favorite thing. But I'm over 50 and I know how important it is (use it or lose it).

Ya, at 78 my mom has started going to the gym due to low bone density scores. She might have been able to avoid taking meds like Fosomax if she's started earlier, but it's too late for lifestyle changes to make enough of a difference for her.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    mochapygmy wrote: »
    ...Personally I don't think yoga is strength. I take 3 advanced yoga classes for flexibility, balance and relaxation.

Yoga styles derived from Ashtanga like Power, Vinyasa, and Jivamukti will definitely strengthen :)

In fact, Pattabhi Jois calls Power Yoga "ignorant bodybuilding", lol:

Power Yoga is a style of yoga created by Beryl Bender Birch, in the late 80's.[40][41] Baron Baptiste, a Bikram enthusiast, put his own spin on the Power Yoga style, and branded it.

Neither Baron Baptiste's Power Yoga nor Beryl Bender Birch's Power Yoga are synonymous with Ashtanga Yoga. In 1995, Pattabhi Jois wrote a letter to Yoga Journal magazine expressing his disappointment at the association between his Ashtanga Yoga, and the newly coined style Power Yoga, referring to it as "ignorant bodybuilding"[42]
  • kshama2001
    Options
    lindaroto wrote: »
    I do cardio (walking) 6 days a week, and yoga X 3. But I'm losing some muscle mass along with my fat. I know I need to do some strength training, but have not found any that I enjoy. So I'm just doing it. But know for me it's not going to be sustainable if I don't like it. So I'm interested it what others like to do for strength training, and why they like it. Thanks.

I was much more comfortable with strength training after I took a few sessions with a trainer.

I'd rather swim or practice yoga than lift weights, but doing this gives me the needed increased upper arm strength for swimming and yoga.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I've tried many different lifting programs, but I always go back to 5/3/1. Exercise as a whole isn't my favorite thing in the world, but like others have said the results (being strong and looking good) are why I keep doing it. I like 5/3/1 because I can lift both for strength and hypertrophy and I can do it 4 days a week. That's about all I'm willing to give to the gym, so a 5 or more day/week program isn't gonna do it for me.

However, none of that matters for you. You need to find something that you like and will stick with. Good luck!