How do I log weight fluctuations?

I want to maintain my weight, but I have lost a few pounds since starting to log my calories. Is there a way to log my weight fluctuations without changing the calculations for my calories & goals?

Replies

• jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    logging your weight change doesn't change your calorie goals in and of itself. You have to, last time I checked anyway, go in and adjust those goals yourself. Now that I am maintaining I use an app called libra to track my weight trend, and just leave MFP's weiight at my goal weight.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    I wouldn't log every weight fluctuation in MFP, you could use another app for that like happy scale or libra.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Enter it all. MFP only announces your losses to your fans. I suggest tracking also on something like this, as it will give you a more encouraging trend line.

http://www.weightgrapher.com/
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    If you are logging your current weight correctly under Progress (app) or Check-In (Web) and your goal is set to maintenance, there seems to be a known issue that the goals do get updated, which is not a desired action. There is a recent thread linked below that discusses this. I don't know how long it will take MFP to resolve this.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10290688/automatic-calorie-goals-adjustment#latest
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    I know exactly what you mean. When I logged my weight, because I had it set at a specific weight, it would change my settings so that I could gain weight. MFP allows you to capture other inforrmation as well and chart it so I just captured it there instead so that it wouldn't keep messing with my settings.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    I have a weight zone and if I'm in it I don't change my weight. If it drops below that a month or so, I change it down, then change it back when I'm back in the zone.

Unless you recalculate it doesn't change your calories.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    I wouldn't log every weight fluctuation in MFP, you could use another app for that like happy scale or libra.

+1 to this. The trend line part is helpful for calming nerves about fluctuations, too, if you're one of the folks who's bothered by them. I use Libra (which, unlike Happy Scale, is available for Android, but there are others out there as well).