Anyone have luck with green tea ?

Options
Wondering supplements vs brewed tea and their benefits

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I drink green tea instead of plain water. I like the taste.
    I do not see any weight loss benefit from green tea.
    I do not believe on any "weight loss" supplement. They are only good to decrease your wallet. They are a scam
    I have lost body weight, eating at a deficit, weighing all food I eat and logging at MFP.
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Any luck with what specifically?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Green tea is an excellent beverage that has minimal calories unless you add stuff to it. It does not have any weight loss benefits other than when used as a substitute for higher calorie beverages. Drink it if you like it but don't expect any changes in your loss from it.

It does have some antioxidants so it is a healthy beverage. The supplements have higher concentrations of the antioxidants but really not enough to justify the price. Any that claim weight loss benefits are selling snake oil.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Calories in versus calories out. No supplement is needed unless you like the taste of green tea. I prefer coffee.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If you're really curious about this, you can look for the studies and read up on it yourself. Most of them haven't shown much. There have been some studies that show a very, very slight increase in metabolism (the oft cited 4% from a 1999 study - or about 50-100 extra calories a day). But that's within the margin of error for most people. It's not a noticeable difference.

If you want to drink green tea, go for it. But there's no real solid information on how much you'd need or what kind of interactions it might have for us to give you.
  • anneen64
    anneen64 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    The caffeine from it helps me with hunger and energy. The anti-oxidants are great etc. but loosing weight just from tea/ No. CICO. Like everyone says. It's a tasty alternative to high calorie drinks, if you don't add a bunch of stuff to it. I used to take mine with milk and sugar, now I just like the taste and don't have to add anything. Black tea too. I love teas and some coffee. I think it's probably safer than sodas, kool-aid etc.
  • Highercalling
    Highercalling Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Green tea helps me feel better. I have a tendency to retain water. When I feel the swelling coming on I drink green tea--- water, pain, swelling go. When I feel better I eat less.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I like green tea. Good Earth's Citrus Kiss green tea is awesome! Would drink it by the gallon if it wasn't so expensive here.

But if you mean to find out if there is any increase in weight loss due to drinking green tea, the answer is no.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    There are studies that show drinking large amounts can help with weight loss. But honestly if that's why you're drinking it don't bother, it's not a magic way to lose weight.

It is a nice boost of caffeine though, and I think it helps me not want to snack.