raw or cooked weight for rice?

Options
sianquin
sianquin Posts: 86 Member
When putting it in my dairy is it the raw weight? i've been using boil in the bag stuff until now.

Replies

• faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Great question and I am stumped by this too. I think with rice it may be uncooked, but to be honest I have no clue. I usually use the cooked weight for everything I eat just to be consistent.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Raw. Same with just about everything.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    There should be the option of cooked or from dry.

If at all possible, I highly suggest trading out your rice for quinoa. Its way better for you. But if not, at least try to go with brown rice.
  • gege0404
    gege0404 Posts: 17
    Options
    Raw for rice or potatoes...everything else I used cooked weights. It depends on what you become accustomed to.
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    i always go for the cooked version, as i figure that is what's actually entering my system...
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options

If at all possible, I highly suggest trading out your rice for quinoa. Its way better for you. But if not, at least try to go with brown rice.

what does quinoa taste like? i think i should give it a try too!
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    i always go for the cooked version, as i figure that is what's actually entering my system...
    This^^ for me as well.

*edited: I always remember that it's a 1:1 ratio of rice to water for white or basmati, and a 1:2 for wild rice and brown rice, so make the calculations there as far as "1/2 a cup of rice" versus "1 cup of rice" when you'd rather measure it than weigh it?
  • sianquin
    Options

I've been considering swapping to quinoa but i'm waiting til i use my BROWN rice up :) i acually prefer brown rice it seems less sticky somehow.

I'm still confused you lot are mostly half and half! I just need to knwo which to enter into my dairy to get an acurate calorie count i'm gonna be eating teh same amount either way.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Raw. Same with just about everything.

this^^^

the package will tell you cooked if it's for cooked weight.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options

It has a nutty flavor. I like it better than rice or couscous. I cook it with some veggie or chicken stock to flavor it up some and according to what I feel like or have on hand, maybe some onion or garlic.

As far as the weight is concerned, there should be an option to choose between cooked or from dry. Look at the nutritional value link that is provided when you do the search. If it looks closest to what the package says. Brown rice typically has around 200 calories per cooked cup.
  • sianquin
    Options

It has a nutty flavor. I like it better than rice or couscous. I cook it with some veggie or chicken stock to flavor it up some and according to what I feel like or have on hand, maybe some onion or garlic.

As far as the weight is concerned, there should be an option to choose between cooked or from dry. Look at the nutritional value link that is provided when you do the search. If it looks closest to what the package says. Brown rice typically has around 200 calories per cooked cup.

I found it dry so have added it in :) I'm bad i'm cooking mine with a packet of stirfry sauce but i was working and hubby was at the gym so atleast i'm cooking and not getting chinese :)
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Uncooked. There is no way of knowing how much water the rice will absorb during cooking, so you couldn't get an accurate number.

What I do is weigh the rice before I cook it, then weigh it after cooking and determine the calories per gram that way.