Been squatting 300 for a few months now. Decided to try Hip Adductor machine. VERY SORE. WTF?

Options
As the title reads, I've been squatting a lot, increasing the amount of weight I can squat. Even doing 135 was difficult, but now doing 300 for 6-8 reps is something I can power out on leg day.

I decided to take a break from barbell lifts for a bit, and do more core stuff. I went on the Hip Adductor machine and did a few sets.

My inner thigh/hip adductors are EXTREMELY SORE now, even two days later. It hurts to even move my legs outward even a tiny bit.

My question: If the Hip Adductor machine did this to me, wouldn't that mean it's something I really need to continue doing, to strengthen my Adductors?

I've read many things online from people saying that the Hip Adductor machine is "something to stay away from". Although, when it's this obvious that my Adductors need work, shouldn't this be something I should incorporate into my routine? Especially since apparently, squats haven't been utilizing my Adductors much, since I've never been this sore in the Adductor area, even from heavy squats...

Thoughts?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I decided to take a break from barbell lifts for a bit, and do more core stuff. ?

You're saying you haven't been squatting recently? No surprise that leg work makes you sore.

The adductor machine was discussed the other day:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/34728448/#Comment_34728448

If you need more help, state your overall goal.

• cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    You might want to throw in some squats with a wider stance and your toes farther outward than your usual ones. See if you feel the adductors a lot more with those. Do them goblet-style with a dumbbell right now while you aren't doing barbell work if you like.
  • ryanflebbe
    ryanflebbe Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Doing a new exercise works your muscles in a different way that your body is not used to. It may mean those muscles are weak or simply that they were worked in a different enough plane and/pr angle, ROM, weight set and rep scheme, whatever, to make them do something they are not used to, and make them sore. I still don't like that machine.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    ryanflebbe wrote: »
    Doing a new exercise works your muscles in a different way that your body is not used to. It may mean those muscles are weak or simply that they were worked in a different enough plane and/pr angle, ROM, weight set and rep scheme, whatever, to make them do something they are not used to, and make them sore. I still don't like that machine.

Yep. Even with machines.

• drewlfitness
    drewlfitness Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Yeah. After I posted this, I decided it was a bit of a silly post, and more just me being shocked by how sore I became, especially after lifting heavy for the last 6 months. That combined with what googling adductor machine brought in search results (everyone thinks the thigh adductor/abductor machine is evil) I decided to see what the community thought.

4 days later and I'm only about 25% sore, but the first few days I could barely move my legs. So I'll be working my inner thighs more now :-)

Wide squats good idea.