Paleo Diet: By the Expert

Options
brower47
brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
Christina Warinner discusses the paleo diet based on archaeological and anthropological studies.

https://youtu.be/BMOjVYgYaG8

Is it a healthier diet or a bogus marketing scam?

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Didn't watch the video yet, but I have two major reservations about Paleo:

1) Wasn't a caveman's life expectancy around 30 years? That's hardly long enough for the long-term benefits or drawbacks of any diet to manifest themselves (and who documented those benefits or drawbacks? Don't think there were many doctors/scientists around back then).

2) I'm still waiting for an explanation as to how cavemen living in the Arctic, the African desert and the Mediterranean regions (all with completely different climates, native animals/flora, etc.) all ate the same way?

It may or many not be a reasonable diet, but I think calling it "Paleo" and an "ancestral diet" is disingenuous and nothing more than marketing woo.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Didn't watch the video yet, but I have two major reservations about Paleo:

1) Wasn't a caveman's life expectancy around 30 years? That's hardly long enough for the long-term benefits or drawbacks of any diet to manifest themselves (and who documented those benefits or drawbacks? Don't think there were many doctors/scientists around back then).

2) I'm still waiting for an explanation as to how cavemen living in the Arctic, the African desert and the Mediterranean regions (all with completely different climates, native animals/flora, etc.) all ate the same way?

It may or many not be a reasonable diet, but I think calling it "Paleo" and an "ancestral diet" is disingenuous and nothing more than marketing woo.

You might find the video incredibly interesting then.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. Tools 30,000 years ago......food availability, breaking down of each myth, good stuff.

Thanks for sharing.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I liked subsisting on seasonal, locally grown food when I was in Costa Rica, but that's simply not practical up here in Boston.
  • adriennemarieb
    adriennemarieb Posts: 38 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Yesyesyes. I just finished it. I don't follow a specific diet, but I do what she says at the end. Eating a variety of fresh, whole foods is key.
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    Yesyesyes. I just finished it. I don't follow a specific diet, but I do what she says at the end. Eating a variety of fresh, whole foods is key.
    phew! For a second I thought you were going to say you eat 8.5 feet of sugar cane.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    The Importance of Dietary Carbohydrate in Human Evolution

http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.1086/682587

• Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    How to Really Eat Like a Hunter-Gatherer: Why the Paleo Diet Is Half-Baked

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-paleo-diet-half-baked-how-hunter-gatherer-really-eat/
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that, interesting video!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    tumblr_ll5iu47xoQ1qc08ab.gif
    Taylor-Lautner-No-GIF.gif
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing :)
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I liked subsisting on seasonal, locally grown food when I was in Costa Rica, but that's simply not practical up here in Boston.

What?? No locally grown food in Boston? Kelly's Roast Beef, North End cannolis, chowdah!! There's plenty of locally grown food, LOL! From a fellow MassHole. :smiley:
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    Equus5374 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »

What?? No locally grown food in Boston? Kelly's Roast Beef, North End cannolis, chowdah!! There's plenty of locally grown food, LOL! From a fellow MassHole. :smiley:

You need to drive to Woosta for chowd-a-h.