Nutrition Question!!

Options
Hi all, preparing myself for what lies ahead in 2016. Currently I weigh around 130-135 lbs. 20 male, pretty brawny. Going to be gaining weight when the New Year hits.. just one question..

The "Nutrition Pie Chat" thing says I should be consuming 50% carbs, 30% protein, & 20% fat spread out between my meals each day.

I'm trying to gain muscle while I gain this weight, lean muscle. Does it sound better or worse to go with 45% carbs, 35% protein, & 20% fats? I know it isn't too much of a difference... but I'm kind of new to this nutrition stuff. Sad to say..

Was going to do 40% carbs, 40% protein, & 20% fat, too.. but I felt like that would off balance things. I don't know.

If you'd think a different breakdown would be better let me know in the comments please!! Trying to be ~180 lbs. lean, with maybe 8% body fat later in 2016.. Thanks all.

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    what is lean muscle?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    jsangraw wrote: »
    Hi all, preparing myself for what lies ahead in 2016. Currently I weigh around 130-135 lbs. 20 male, pretty brawny. Going to be gaining weight when the New Year hits.. just one question..

The "Nutrition Pie Chat" thing says I should be consuming 50% carbs, 30% protein, & 20% fat spread out between my meals each day.

I'm trying to gain muscle while I gain this weight, lean muscle. Does it sound better or worse to go with 45% carbs, 35% protein, & 20% fats? I know it isn't too much of a difference... but I'm kind of new to this nutrition stuff. Sad to say..

Was going to do 40% carbs, 40% protein, & 20% fat, too.. but I felt like that would off balance things. I don't know.

If you'd think a different breakdown would be better let me know in the comments please!! Trying to be ~180 lbs. lean, with maybe 8% body fat later in 2016.. Thanks all.

Set more realistic expectations first off. Secondly, it's not worth fretting over the macro breakdown with such small variances in percentages (I don't like using percentages myself anyway).

Hit your minimum protein goal, hit your minimum fat goal, intake enough fiber and carbs to fuel performance whilst prioritizing nutrient dense foods. Any left over calories distribute how you see fit.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    what is lean muscle?

Bro, your killing me, lol

Set more realistic expectations first off. Secondly, it's not worth fretting over the macro breakdown with such small variances in percentages (I don't like using percentages myself anyway).

Hit your minimum protein goal, hit your minimum fat goal, intake enough fiber and carbs to fuel performance whilst prioritizing nutrient dense foods. Any left over calories distribute how you see fit.

Pretty much this.
  • ndj1979
    Options

cosign
  • ndj1979
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    what is lean muscle?

Bro, your killing me, lol

why?
  • jsangraw
    jsangraw Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    10 percent carbs, 20-25 percent protein, 65-70% healthy fats. Make it so!