How to workout when you're sick :(

Options
Hey guys, so apparently I have some sort of sinus congestion and the treadmill isn't my friend at the moment. What kind of workouts do you do when you are kind of under the weather that wont push you TOO hard? I was thinking like some arm strength training but I've never used dumbbells before. What would you guys do?

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I usually don't, but I'm rarely ever just slightly sick; I get hit by the sick train. I rest til I feel well enough to do my normal workouts.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    When I'm sick I relax, defintely wouldn't start something new.
  • AndiJH
    AndiJH Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    You can try yoga positions for sinus/headache relief...whatever you decide to do, don't push it. Your body needs the energy to heal you and get rid of your sickness! It's ok to take a day off to get better!
  • ydyms
    ydyms Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    When I'm sick I rest!!!
  • Seacgo
    Seacgo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Kurriana wrote: »
    Hey guys, so apparently I have some sort of sinus congestion and the treadmill isn't my friend at the moment. What kind of workouts do you do when you are kind of under the weather that wont push you TOO hard? I was thinking like some arm strength training but I've never used dumbbells before. What would you guys do?
    Sinus congestion with cold and working out are a bad combo and you'll just make yourself sicker for longer. Hit the Mucinex D from the pharmacy counter (the stuff you need id for) and drinks lots of water. Sinus irrigation works wonders if you have a kit. Stay hydrated and go back to the gym when your head cold is gone. Also, you don't want to risk infecting other members at your gym. Hope you're feeling better soon.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    For me it depends on how bad I feel. If I'm just feeling a little funky, often hydrating well and some mild cardio will help me break that. But other times it's just not happening. I had to go see the doctor for some antibiotics today to deal with sinus stuff myself. On Saturday I thought about trying to shake it off on the elliptical, but the reality was I had so much sinus pressure it would have just been miserable and non productive.

But do what works for you, since it varies person to person. And remember a couple down days isn't going to hurt the big picture. I even ate at maintenance calories without guilt.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a pool that's amazing for any sinus congestion
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Please don't go to a gym or public pool if you are contagious
  • heatherwartanyan
    heatherwartanyan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    The rule of thumb is, if it's the neck and above light exercises are ok. Get the lymphs moving. If your sickness is below the neck in your chest or gut. Dont exercise.
    When I have sinus pressure or something like a head cold I find that just a modified version of my intense workouts is enough. And remember to listen to your body first. If it feels like you are gonna die then rest is best. Even just doing some jumping Jacks and running in place can help move things along
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    I do yardwork or go for a shorter walk. My body would be up for gentle yoga, but it's so annoying not being able to breath through my nose that I can't stand to do it.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    sick = rest... take a leisurely stroll, some stretching... Not the time to try killing it!
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    sick = rest... take a leisurely stroll, some stretching... Not the time to try killing it!

This.

I've been right there the past week and I did too much right before the weekend and it really did make for one miserable weekend.
  • Kurriana
    Kurriana Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Please don't go to a gym or public pool if you are contagious

I dont have a gym membership, i just use our home gym
  • Kurriana
    Kurriana Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I do yardwork or go for a shorter walk. My body would be up for gentle yoga, but it's so annoying not being able to breath through my nose that I can't stand to do it.

Ive always wanted to try yoga... im COMPLETELY new to the exercise scene, so i dont know any real workouts :(
  • FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I jogged in a longsleeve shirt and pants SWEAT out that cold 2 days BAM clear sinus again
  • TheRiot
    TheRiot Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    http://youtu.be/n5YvtYXSocw

I actually really like this nice, restful sequence for when I'm not feeling well, and I'm unfortunately prone to sinus infections. You might give it a shot! Hope you get to feeling better soon!
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I always was told that if you have a fever, don't exercise because it will raise your core temp more. If it's a cold or congestion, work within your limits.
    Feel better!
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    When I'm really sick I rest. If just a cold, I'll swim. I'm on day 3 of resting due to some virus. Just means I temporarily drop my cals for those days (so around 1800).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    generally when i'm sick, i rest and let my body use that energy to heal itself. working out when you're sick generally will exacerbate the problem and result in longer recovery.

of course, there's a big difference between having the sniffles and actually being sick. i just recovered from a trifecta of bronchitis, sinus infection, and ear infection...i took a whole week off and then spent another week not doing much more than walking my dog.
  • ragenhay1
    ragenhay1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I've been sick since Sunday and I'm home resting. I also have a baby who doesn't sleep through the night so going to the gym for my regular hour Monday to Friday with this darned cold and no sleep is just too much. I say rest but don't let it become a habit. Recognizing when the cold had cleared is key. Get back at it when you are well. The first cold I got after I stated working out I tried to push through but it was awful and I was miserable. Personally in way more likely to keep up with the exercise of I take time off when I'm sick.