Best Food Swaps

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Oh I made shirataki fettucini and chick alfredo tonight for 390 calories. Serving was so big I ate it out of a mixing bowl.

the shirataki, fettucini, and Alfredo should never be combined in the same sentence….you know this girl! :)
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Plain Greek yogurt in place of sour cream, helps meet my protein macros and I can't taste a difference.

When I'm in the mood for cookies, I look up a recipe using blanched almond flour and honey instead of flour and sugar for extra nutrients. Different texture, but my family enjoys it all the same.

Light unsweetened almond milk(40 calories) in place of organic 1% milk (which is 110 calories) mixed in with my protein shake.

Turkey bacon and turkey pepperoni instead of regular bacon and pepperoni, less calories.

Hebrew Natuonal reduced fat turkey hot dogs, only 45 calories, instead of regular hotdogs.

Almond oil over canola, Brown rice instead of white.

Those are just a few of the many lower calorie/healthier substitutions I use. I'd love to hear substitutions that other people use.

I use a lot of these subs as well..

My favorite sub is cauliflower puree in place of mashed potatoes. My kids actually like it better as they have never been fans of mashed potatoes.

Spaghetti squash vs. spaghetti. In our house we usually have a pasta night at least once per weekly rotation so this way, I just make up some squash for me and, we all use the same sauce.

When the family cracks a bag of chips during a movie, I get out my skinny pop and get to enjoy almost 4 cups for 150 calories.

Last make your own pizza night, I used a portabello mushroom cap in place of the greek pita I put out for the rest of the family.

*sigh*
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    i can't do substitutes. If I want a donut I'm eating that donut, if I want chips I'm eating the chips, if i want chocolate esp if I'm PMS'ing good luck taking it away from me. My brain is to smart and substitutes just make me want it even more. Chocolate especially dark has some pretty cool health benefits.. like wine. mmmm wine.

unlike all these people with dumb brains who can be fooled ;)
  • Rage_Phish
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Plain Greek yogurt in place of sour cream, helps meet my protein macros and I can't taste a difference.

When I'm in the mood for cookies, I look up a recipe using blanched almond flour and honey instead of flour and sugar for extra nutrients. Different texture, but my family enjoys it all the same.

Light unsweetened almond milk(40 calories) in place of organic 1% milk (which is 110 calories) mixed in with my protein shake.

Turkey bacon and turkey pepperoni instead of regular bacon and pepperoni, less calories.

Hebrew Natuonal reduced fat turkey hot dogs, only 45 calories, instead of regular hotdogs.

Those are just a few of the many lower calorie/healthier substitutions I use. I'd love to hear substitutions that other people use.

My favorite sub is cauliflower puree in place of mashed potatoes. My kids actually like it better as they have never been fans of mashed potatoes.

Spaghetti squash vs. spaghetti. In our house we usually have a pasta night at least once per weekly rotation so this way, I just make up some squash for me and, we all use the same sauce.

When the family cracks a bag of chips during a movie, I get out my skinny pop and get to enjoy almost 4 cups for 150 calories.

Last make your own pizza night, I used a portabello mushroom cap in place of the greek pita I put out for the rest of the family.

*sigh*

you seem to really hate people substituting foods.

why would you even open this thread?
  • SuzieQzie123
    SuzieQzie123 Posts: 45 Member
    Options

*sigh*

Is there something about the food I choose to put in my body that bothers you?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I think it is more about the fact that there is nothing wrong with the foods that you chose to substitute.
  • ndj1979
    Options

*sigh*

other than the fact that it is totally unnecessary for weight loss, no, nothing at all….
  • Rage_Phish
    Options
    I think it is more about the fact that there is nothing wrong with the foods that you chose to substitute.

and there is nothing wrong with the foods she decided to sub in
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    More power to those of you who can handle the shirataki noodles. I don't know how you do it.

Like amusedmonkey, I stretch my pasta servings with zucchini noodles or other vegetables.

I'm not really big on substitutes. I mean, I like and have made cauliflower fried rice, but to me, it's a cauliflower dish and a good way to get more veggies in my day. It's not a substitute for regular rice.
  • SuzieQzie123
    SuzieQzie123 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with making different choices in what you eat to get more "bang" for your buck. If I want to eat a full cup of cauliflower puree for less calories than a half a cup of mashed potatoes, that's my prerogative and, what this thread was created to discuss. If I want to eat 4 cups of popcorn instead of 3 regular potato chips, why shouldn't I?

If you don't want to do that, more power to you.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Oh I made shirataki fettucini and chick alfredo tonight for 390 calories. Serving was so big I ate it out of a mixing bowl.

the shirataki, fettucini, and Alfredo should never be combined in the same sentence….you know this girl! :)

Dude my maintenance is so low. I'm bulking on 2000 calories and it's still hard for me to stay at that goal. Wish I could be happy with a little dinner but I need that volume.
  • Strivingforhealth12
    Options
    I found that a small amount of dark chocolate satisfies me. Now milk chocolate, on the other hand,...
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options

*sigh*

other than the fact that it is totally unnecessary for weight loss, no, nothing at all….

For some people, it may be necessary actually... In the sense that if they are volume eaters, sooner or later they either have to give up on the volume, whoch may lead to compliance issues, or begin to substitute in veggies for everything. It's not always a case of demonising foods.

I.e. If it is necessary for compliance it is de facto necessary for weight loss for that particular person.

The two subs that make my hair stand on end with horror (for me personally, if you like them indulge yourself by all means) are spaghetti squash for pasta and cauliflower crust pizza... They just sound downright criminal :)

For me, I am more of a taste eater than a volume eater, so I never get near half-fat, no-sugar anything. I just learned to be satisfied with a real serving of pasta, I also love squash but served as squash, not instead of pasta.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    Rage_Phish wrote: »
    fishshark wrote: »
    i can't do substitutes. If I want a donut I'm eating that donut, if I want chips I'm eating the chips, if i want chocolate esp if I'm PMS'ing good luck taking it away from me. My brain is to smart and substitutes just make me want it even more. Chocolate especially dark has some pretty cool health benefits.. like wine. mmmm wine.

unlike all these people with dumb brains who can be fooled ;)

haha! Oh trust me I wish I had to will power to be like "listen brain you don't like 3 servings of pasta"
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    Same here. Add a spoon to most of soups and salads.
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    zenjen13 wrote: »
    I second (third and fourth) a good quality dark chocolate. Depending on the bar I buy it's 50 cals a square - I usually eat two and my sweet tooth is satisfied. For those salty chip cravings I like to make popcorn with a teeny bit of coconut oil and some salt and nutritional yeast on top after it's popped. I also recently discovered something called Veggie Straws Healthy Portions (or something like that) and you can have quite a few for a serving and it banished my salty craving. Oh yeah, and a large caramel flavoured rice cake with a smear of peanut butter is a good "dessert" too for about 120 cals.

One more vote for dark chocolate! :)
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I have mixed feelings about shirataki noodles. Zero/very low calorie is nice but it's definitely not filling for me. I ate a bunch of them over a weekend to see if I could figure out a preparation style I'd like... Even as a type of primavera high in vegetable content and garlic aioli, i was not feeling satiated. Eh. I'd rather have pasta and pay the calorie fees.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I use china I chocolate dust for chocolate cravings it's the kids tubes so it's 60 cal no added sugar
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I use china I chocolate dust for chocolate cravings it's the kids tubes so it's 60 cal no added sugar

Chobani
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Protranser wrote: »
    I have mixed feelings about shirataki noodles. Zero/very low calorie is nice but it's definitely not filling for me. I ate a bunch of them over a weekend to see if I could figure out a preparation style I'd like... Even as a type of primavera high in vegetable content and garlic aioli, i was not feeling satiated. Eh. I'd rather have pasta and pay the calorie fees.

You have to add some protein and fat in with them. I sautee them with chicken breast, teriyaki sauce, garlic and cheese, and have raw vegetables on the side. The noodles are the bulk, but it's the protein and the fat from the chicken and the cheese that are the satiating factor.