Can't stop overeating!

Options
I am supposed to only eat 1200 calories a day to reach my goal but I go over every day! It seems impossible for me to say no to food! If it's in front of me I just eat it without a thought. Please give me some advice!

I consider myself a strong person in every aspect of my life EXCEPT with my self control with food.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    It's not as if eating 1200 calories is easy. It is very little food. If you're sure it's an appropriate amount for you, you will have to mess around with your diet/macros to make sure you feel full and satisfied. Often 1200 calories is not necessary. Many can eat more and lose.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    That's probably because 1200 calories is too aggressive of a goal for you. I'd be hungry too. Since you have only 26 lbs to lose set your weight loss to lose .5 pounds a week and you will be allotted more food.
  • MrsMunsell
    MrsMunsell Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    That's good to know! I was looking at other people's food diaries and saw a lot of women on a 1200 calorie diet so I assumed that was appropriate. I'm ok with losing .5 a week. I think long term I could actually keep it off too. Especially since I won't feel so deprived!!!!
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I want to chew at least 1600 calories a day lol. I really would rather be more active so I could eat more. But really, how tall are you that, as a 30-year-old, and I assume active, that you only eat 1200 cals? I'm nearly 47 and eat 1600-1800, and still lose 2lbs a week. I'm 5'7".
    I would think you could eat at least that much, even if you are shorter, and still lose weight. Try recalculating?
  • mellowadam
    mellowadam Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above. Go with .5 pounds per week! It really was a game changer for me. I've been much more successful since I switched my goal. That extra 250 or so calories make a huge difference. That's a nice snack or small treat.

• MrsMunsell
    Options
    I want to chew at least 1600 calories a day lol. I really would rather be more active so I could eat more. But really, how tall are you that, as a 30-year-old, and I assume active, that you only eat 1200 cals? I'm nearly 47 and eat 1600-1800, and still lose 2lbs a week. I'm 5'7".
    I would think you could eat at least that much, even if you are shorter, and still lose weight. Try recalculating?

I'm 5'4. I recalculated to .5 lb/week and was thrilled to see that I have over 300 calories left! I'll try to post any changes that happen for me. I honestly felt very exhausted and wondered how people managed. Thank you!

• MrsMunsell
    Options
    mellowadam wrote: »
    I agree with the above. Go with .5 pounds per week! It really was a game changer for me. I've been much more successful since I switched my goal. That extra 250 or so calories make a huge difference. That's a nice snack or small treat.
    I think I will be able to stay on track with the 1700 calories per day. You're right about a good extra snack! I'm looking forward to my adjusted calorie intake progress!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan for you! I am losing on 1600/day at 5'2" and a bit older than you. Make sure you are being very accurate in your counting though. Weighing your food on a scale is the best. It will help ensure that you are actually eating at that allowance. Enjoy your new found extra foods!
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Even with a .5 pound per week loss set for myself, it sets me at 1200 and I don't even lose that much. So I like to eat, therefore I walk a lot. :) On days when I can't really walk a lot because of work, I just make sure I don't go over maintenance. 1200 calories is a miserably low amount.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    What you eat makes a big difference. Make sure you eat things that are calorie-light and nutrient-dense. I ate as much as I felt like I needed to yesterday and still came in under 1200 calories. My tracker was hatin', but I could either eat more dinner or replenish the fifty gallons of water I sweat out at spin class and the water won.
  • fatass2kickass
    fatass2kickass Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You can't eat what you don't have. Don't grocery shop when you're hungry. When shopping don't buy extra food, just buy the bare minimum to support your calorie goal. Try this for 2 weeks. You'll have extra cash in your pocket, you're body will be adjusted to the new food schedule, and you'll be a few pounds lighter.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Exercise! I work out because I like to eat! (and I like the way it makes me feel).
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to hear you bumped up your calories, I'd be starving at 1200 too! It's definitely got to feel comfortable for the long haul or it's a rough and unsustainable journey
  • MrsMunsell
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Sounds like a good plan for you! I am losing on 1600/day at 5'2" and a bit older than you. Make sure you are being very accurate in your counting though. Weighing your food on a scale is the best. It will help ensure that you are actually eating at that allowance. Enjoy your new found extra foods!

Thank you! I did get a biggest loser food scale and it's so easy! I finally know what 1 oz. of cheese actually looks like. I was definitely under estimating my foods weight.
  • MrsMunsell
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    Even with a .5 pound per week loss set for myself, it sets me at 1200 and I don't even lose that much. So I like to eat, therefore I walk a lot. :) On days when I can't really walk a lot because of work, I just make sure I don't go over maintenance. 1200 calories is a miserably low amount.

I tried your advice since I can't run/jog too long. I spent more time walking to burn more calories and actually worked up quite a sweat today! Very happy with the outcome. I think I will invest in a heart rate monitor for accuracy.
  • Ryan70286
    Ryan70286 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You should increase it to 1600 or 1800. Sorry but 1200 is way to low. Just get plenty of exercise. Stay away from refine carbs and eat more protein keeps you full.
  • MrsMunsell
    Options
    Larissa_NY wrote: »
    What you eat makes a big difference. Make sure you eat things that are calorie-light and nutrient-dense. I ate as much as I felt like I needed to yesterday and still came in under 1200 calories. My tracker was hatin', but I could either eat more dinner or replenish the fifty gallons of water I sweat out at spin class and the water won.
    I do need to drink more water. I see that people also count other liquids as water too.
    I'm starting to carry a 33oz. Water bottle around to encourage myself to just drink it.
  • MrsMunsell
    Options
    Rachel0778 wrote: »
    I'm glad to hear you bumped up your calories, I'd be starving at 1200 too! It's definitely got to feel comfortable for the long haul or it's a rough and unsustainable journey

Yes! I'm pretty sure all of my failures in my weight loss journey is due to extreme diets. I lose weight for 1 week and then go crazy the second I smell pizza, hamburgers or whatever because I was not nourishing my body. Thank you !
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    You've had some really good suggestions so far, and I want to give you props for upping your intake!

Something else that also helped me when I first started was slowing down when I was eating. I started out on 1200 calories because I'm short, old, and was sedentary at the time. Making my food last by taking small bites, chewing them thoroughly, and completely emptying my mouth before taking the next bite taught me to be satisfied with less food.

Now, I realize this won't help everyone, but just in case, I thought I'd put it out there.
  • MrsMunsell
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »
    Exercise! I work out because I like to eat! (and I like the way it makes me feel).

I do need to incorporate more activity in my day. During my work week I tend to lose focus. Maybe I should drink coffee an hour before I get off from work for a little energy boost?