3kg on first 2 weeks - anything to be worried about?

Options
Just weighed in for the 2nd week of my first ever bulk after a very long cut. First week i put on 0.8 the second 2.2kg. Is this a normal gain or to excessive?

Feel free to view my diary, my TDEE is 2250 im eating 3000 a day at at 40 40 20 split of 300P 300C 68F

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    That seems quite quick. I would aim for 0.25-0.5kg per week to minimise fat gained. Maybe reduce your calories slightly to 2750 until your weight gain stalls and then increase it
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    why so much protein? There is no proof that more than 0.82g/lb provides any benefit. In fact, 0.64g/lb is proven to provide maximum benefit for the majority of lifters, and 0.82g/lb is enough for the super genetically gifted lifters. Even if you went with 1g/lb 300g/day is enough for a 300lb (136kg) person.

Also, if you know that TDEE is 2250, then 3000 calories/day is enough to put on 1.36kg in 2 weeks. If you went straight from a cut to bulk, then you have to also throw on extra water retention. I gain ~2kg just going from eating at a deficit to eating at maintenance. If you know TDEE and know what you are eating, then just keep going and look at the longer term average.
  • Ben2055
    Ben2055 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    why so much protein? There is no proof that more than 0.82g/lb provides any benefit. In fact, 0.64g/lb is proven to provide maximum benefit for the majority of lifters, and 0.82g/lb is enough for the super genetically gifted lifters. Even if you went with 1g/lb 300g/day is enough for a 300lb (136kg) person.

Also, if you know that TDEE is 2250, then 3000 calories/day is enough to put on 1.36kg in 2 weeks. If you went straight from a cut to bulk, then you have to also throw on extra water retention. I gain ~2kg just going from eating at a deficit to eating at maintenance. If you know TDEE and know what you are eating, then just keep going and look at the longer term average.

Shall i drop my calories abit to 1750?
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Did you spend some time at maintenance or did you jump right from a cut to a bulk? It's normal to see a scale jump when you switch to maintenance just from water retention and glycogen (5# or so is normal for women; I'm not sure what the normal range is for men), so if you didn't already see that jump when you switched from your cut to maintenance, that's probably at least part of what you're seeing now.
    Ben2055 wrote: »
    Wouldn't that still be a cut for you? That's under my maintenance, and I'm a small woman.

• Ben2055
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Did you spend some time at maintenance or did you jump right from a cut to a bulk? It's normal to see a scale jump when you switch to maintenance just from water retention and glycogen (5# or so is normal for women; I'm not sure what the normal range is for men), so if you didn't already see that jump when you switched from your cut to maintenance, that's probably at least part of what you're seeing now.
    Wouldn't that still be a cut for you? That's under my maintenance, and I'm a small woman.

Sorry 2750 haha
  • Ben2055
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »

Sorry 2750 haha

I went from a 1750 cut to a 3000 bulk haha
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Just like weight loss has huge drops, weight gain (in the few weeks) can be significant. And since you added 1200 calories, you have to consider that you will replenish glycogen, increase food in your GI track and increase water weight from sodium.

Keep at 3000 for another few weeks.

And you really don't need that much protein.