Pear Shape

Options
Hi, I know they say that you cannot target specific weight loss areas, however i was wandering if losing weight will reduce the 'pearness' of my body. My lower body (thighs and bum) are significantly larger than my waist and chest.
Is there hope or should i get over it?

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Both. Accept your basic shape, because trying to completely change it is a fool's game, for a pear. You basically can't. Trying to do it by weight loss alone is impossible, you wind up going too skinny up top. You can strength train to create a little more volume in your shoulders and arms, to get a more "X" kind of shape. But a pear is a pear is a pear.

That said, you can be a smaller pear and a bit less of a pear. You can reduce the absolute size of your thighs and bum by losing weight (though of course you'll lose up top as well). Your hip to weight ratio might change and become a bit less pear-y, if you're carrying a lot of extra weight right now.

I really liked my pear shape at BMIs of 19-21 (not even that muscled, necessarily), and I like it a fair bit at BMI 22. Didn't mind it at all at BMI 23.5. Pretty unhappy with it at 26 and up.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Losing weight will help. Kiera Knightly is a slim pear.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Kinda. I lost weight everywhere (I'm also a pear), but the biggest areas of loss were my arms/fingers, chest/neck, stomach, and inner thighs/knees. I still lost from my hips but less so than the other areas.

The weight loss made me look more of a pear instead of a bloated rectangle.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I am more in proportion now I'm at a BMI of 20 compared to 24, (less of a pronounced pear shape) but still very definitely my hips are wider than my shoulders.

I'm much happier as a toned, fit pear than I was as a flabby weak pear. I also have reminded myself that my body should be valued for much more than just being decorative and looking 'nice'.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Losing weight will make you smaller over your whole body. Focus on developing a plan and then consistency. You'll do great!
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I've talked about this here on the forums before: I have a neighbor who has slowly recompositioned. It's slow but do-able. She is a serious tri athlete.
    Gradually she has taken herself from a classic pear to what you would consider an hour glass through building and cutting. Her body fat percentage got low enough to reduce her hips & legs and she also built up lean muscle to make her shoulders & upper body more defined. But we are talking years here. Not weeks or months. And her skeletal frame remains the same. Just the fat/muscle ratios have shifted.