Best exercise for a better booty

Options
I am wating to shrink and tone my bum and thighs - do you suggest i start running or shall i do exercises such as lunges and squats?

Replies

• threadmad
    threadmad Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Take a look at Bret Contreras's Strong Curves program. He's known for building strong glutes. You can google his name to find his website. He also has videos on youtube.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    What do you think is more interesting? The best exercise routine is the one you will actually follow.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am wating to shrink and tone my bum and thighs - do you suggest i start running or shall i do exercises such as lunges and squats?

both
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Squats and deadlifts are a booty's best friends :smile:
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Squats, squats, and then some more squats.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    If you can't do squats properly (without the knees going past your toes at the bottom of the squat), do not do strong curves yet, or go very light until you can do it with proper form. The booty will definitely get there with squats, but you risk getting hurt if you try without proper form. The lunges are good for now to get that form and muscles in the glute working. If you can't do those without the knees going over the toes, then you should try other glute isolating exercises like bridges (one legged is harder than both).

Anything with isolating the use of glutes will get your booty rounder and stronger for now. I used to do just body weight squats each morning while I was brushing my teeth and I would feel sore the next day. Now squats with 25lbs in my hands don't even do that. :smiley: Good luck!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    wkwebby wrote: »
    If you can't do squats properly (without the knees going past your toes at the bottom of the squat), do not do strong curves yet, or go very light until you can do it with proper form. The booty will definitely get there with squats, but you risk getting hurt if you try without proper form. The lunges are good for now to get that form and muscles in the glute working. If you can't do those without the knees going over the toes, then you should try other glute isolating exercises like bridges (one legged is harder than both).

Anything with isolating the use of glutes will get your booty rounder and stronger for now. I used to do just body weight squats each morning while I was brushing my teeth and I would feel sore the next day. Now squats with 25lbs in my hands don't even do that. :smiley: Good luck!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a person's knees going over their toes while squatting.
  • melvansmith
    melvansmith Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Appreciate all the feedback.. Love the idea of squatting while brushing my teeth! :D have also found these 30 day plans which have you doing about 150 squats a day - so they must be good!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I love the weighted hip thrusts, because they work and my knees like them when lunges and squats cause pain (I have kneecap problems).

For the other main glute muscle --the medius more on the side-- clamshells were found to activate them the most.

I really like all the ballet stuff with the leg lifted in back, too (or cable kickbacks at the gym). I feel like it hits my glutes differently in that kind of position. Tuck your pelvis up to your navel a bit while trying arabesques, etc, and you can really feel it.
  • TasnimEz
    TasnimEz Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Squats, lunges, deadlifts. :smile:
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Bret Contreras Strong Curves
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Yes! Why do you have to choose?
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Appreciate all the feedback.. Love the idea of squatting while brushing my teeth! :D have also found these 30 day plans which have you doing about 150 squats a day - so they must be good!
    squatting with weights will give you much better results than doing a 30 day squat challenge. Follow a structured lifting program and you'll never look back.

Barbell-Sumo-Squat.jpg
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    squatting with weights will give you much better results than doing a 30 day squat challenge. Follow a structured lifting program and you'll never look back.

Barbell-Sumo-Squat.jpg

True.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »

Barbell-Sumo-Squat.jpg

True.

Absolutely. Lots more fun too.
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Pilates videos on YouTube are my very best friends :)