calories in vs calories out for a bulk ?

Options
Might be a stupid question but i read tones about clean and dirty bulks .

I'm due to start bulking back up after a 90 day cut and i'm curious would the calories in vs calories out method work when hitting a calorie goal for bulking or will you get better results ( less fat gain ) from eating clean to hit that calorie goal . After all the in vs out rule states a calorie is a calorie regardless of where it comes from it's fuel ?

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Yes, calories matter most. You would be better off with having the majority of your calories come from nutrient dense sources.

Clean bulk and dirty bulks are not specific to the types of foods you intake, but rather the amount of the surplus.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Might be a stupid question but i read tones about clean and dirty bulks .

I'm due to start bulking back up after a 90 day cut and i'm curious would the calories in vs calories out method work when hitting a calorie goal for bulking or will you get better results ( less fat gain ) from eating clean to hit that calorie goal . After all the in vs out rule states a calorie is a calorie regardless of where it comes from it's fuel ?

A few considerations:

It's not an "either/or" in that your options aren't:

1) Eating clean
    OR
    2) Calories in/out

Additionally, calories in/out applies across the board, so even if you do focus on eating clean you are still subject to energy balance.