Nighttime eating.. omg

Options
OK, so, I've been doing really well. However, I have binge eating disorder, so it's a constant struggle. I still need to lose more weight (about 50 pounds), but I am at a stand still because of nighttime eating. During the day, I am OK and eat well. However, when I get home, my sensibility is gone and I lose control. I have tried everything I can think of to stop this and need help. I really wish there was a medication I could take that would take the edge off to help me. I have tried drinking protein before I get home, having a healthy snack, even eating dinner at work. I get home... and it's all lost. I seriously cannot control it.... I have tried working out, but as soon as I am done, it starts back up again. It is ruining my weight loss goals.... I just don't know what to do about it.

Replies

• Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I always have sugar free jello on hand, if I have to snack. If you use the ice cube method it takes very little time to jell.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just me, and maybe you've already got this covered, but what helped me with reducing evening cravings was getting a *very* solid breakfast, including protein, healthy fat, and fiber. When I was at my lowest calorie consumption to lose 2lbs/week, this was easily 1/3 of my daily pre-exercise calories.

I usually have plain oatmeal with berries, walnuts, and Greek yogurt, sweetened with a tablespoon of all-fruit spread (because it's regular oatmeal, not the pre-sweetened packets)). There are lots of other options, but as an ovo-lacto vegetarian, this was one of my best ones.
  • dayzeyblue
    dayzeyblue Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I could have wrote that post...here's what worked for me. Since i have better control during daytime i push back breakfast till 10-11am...then push lunch till 3-4 then have dinner late. It makes me full enough before bed i opt to go to sleep comfortably rather than risk snacking and feeling yucky. Good luck!
  • Remoth
    Remoth Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Healthier snacking and keeping yourself busy are really the only things you can do. If you are finding that you get bored easily at home, that can be the cause
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have lunch at 12:30 and then maybe a snack between 4-5pm, then dinner isn't usually until 8 or 9pm. If I have dinner at 5 or 6pm, I snack (binge) all night.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I save calories for an evening snack. I usually save 200-300 calories and plan to have something really awesome at 8:30/9pm. I go to bed by 10pm, so it's late enough to feel "final". It's usually gelato, ice cream, or candy, but lately it's been baked goods since "Tis the Season" and all.

After dinner, I put all my "omg I just want to eat" energy into planning what I'm going to eat for my snack. Sometimes I'll settle on something, just to replan it again in a half an hour. But I can't eat it until it's time.

It actually really helps me to have times that I eat and times that I don't eat. If it's not time to eat (for me it's breakfast, lunch, dinner, evening snack), then I simply have to wait. The only exception is if I can feel my blood sugar dropping (like after a long run in the late afternoon or something). Then I'll have a snack, but it comes out of my evening snack budget, so it's really only when it's an emergency.
  • prettysoul1908
    prettysoul1908 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I save the majority of my calories for the evening. I don't eat dinner til after 9. Then snack until it's time for bed.

Mentally I had to adjust because we've always been told eating late is what makes you fat. But it's actually going over your calories that make you fat.

I used to think that I HAD to eat breakfast because that kickstarted my metabolism. I thought I needed a big lunch to fuel me when I was busiest (such a laugh...I'm sadly sedentary). So even though I wasn't hungry I was eating out of obligation and still hungry at night which led to me eating too many calories even though I thought I was doing it the "right" way

Through MFP I learned that it doesn't matter when you eat, as long as you eat in a deficit. This has made life a lot easier for me while losing weight.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,644 Member
    Options
    I don't know how good it is for you psychologically but I try to eat light during the day and then eat most of my calories at night . I actually don't even start eating until about 11:00 pm but part of that is because I also walk a lot to earn extra calories for food.

I think of it as binging within my calories every night. :)
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Is your BED a diagnosed condition? What does your medical team suggest you do to adjust your behavior?
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Save calories for night time. I calorie goal on days I don't exercise is 1500. I regularly save 800-1000 calories for dinner and night snacks.
  • jennamae102
    jennamae102 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    If I'm craving something at night (especially in these colder months) I try to drink hot tea. Right now I'm drinking Trader Joes Pomegranate White tea...it is sweet and tends to take away my want to eat something! Good luck, you'll find what works for you!
  • BuddhaB0y
    BuddhaB0y Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Having your doctor almost cry as he tells you he is really worried about you and doesn't think you will be around in 5-10 years seemed to do the trick for me. I hope you don't get to that point
  • Obnoxa
    Obnoxa Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Mentally I had to adjust because we've always been told eating late is what makes you fat. But it's actually going over your calories that makes you fat.

This right here. If you know its the evening that gets you, then dispense your calories in a way tailored to when you really want food.

I rarely eat breakfast, just not a breakfast person, once I broke out of the idea that breakfast was a must do and didn't bother using up calories on a meal I didn't really need or want it was easier to give myself more wiggle room for an evening snack if I wanted it

Also, and maybe it's just me, but I really do find that my water consumption through the day will play into how hungry I am in the evening.

Good luck :)
  • fatass2kickass
    fatass2kickass Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem but it's more of a habit than anything else. Two things I did to stop this behaviour is, first, I stopped watching so much tv at night. Second, I stopped buying extra food at the store. No available food = no binge eating. Just go shopping right after a meal so you're not shopping hungry. Good luck.
  • ZeXea
    ZeXea Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Same problem with me. I tried a LOT and ultimately settled on not eating during the day. I eat no more than like 100 calories in the day, tops 200 on weekends, and then eat my last 1000-1300 at home from 6pm-11:45pm.
    I love it ☺️❤️ but I know it's not for everyone. It can be hard resisting food for most of the time you're awake.
  • Ryan70286
    Ryan70286 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Have you tried drinking some casein protein shake a couple hours before dinner. Casein is slow digesting and basically all protein.
  • Ryan70286
    Ryan70286 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Great job by the way. I've been using this app and tracking my food for almost 150 days and I just found out that their is a social community to this app.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    My rule: I eat only at the table with no electronics. The tv area is a co-cal zone. Popcorn from a plate with no tv is not fun at all.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    redrosez4 wrote: »
    OK, so, I've been doing really well. However, I have binge eating disorder, so it's a constant struggle. I still need to lose more weight (about 50 pounds), but I am at a stand still because of nighttime eating. During the day, I am OK and eat well. However, when I get home, my sensibility is gone and I lose control. I have tried everything I can think of to stop this and need help. I really wish there was a medication I could take that would take the edge off to help me. I have tried drinking protein before I get home, having a healthy snack, even eating dinner at work. I get home... and it's all lost. I seriously cannot control it.... I have tried working out, but as soon as I am done, it starts back up again. It is ruining my weight loss goals.... I just don't know what to do about it.

Are you overeating at night as a response to a physical or emotional hunger?

Would you please set your Diary Sharing settings to Public? http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • pislari_poljnamd
    pislari_poljnamd Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Try apples! Lots of apples