Just needed to vent! Parents just don't understand..

Options
Hi everyone, I just needed a common place to vent; my mom and her friends saw a few of my lifting videos and they began commenting left and right that if I lift "too heavy" I won't be able to have kids, and it will do damage to my womb and reproductive system.. etc:neutral: being Asian this seems to be common thinking among the older generation.....I'm not even lifting crazy amounts, I'm still a baby lifter at this point with my squats at 205, deadlifts at 255, and bench at 135..

does anyone else have any old folklore your parents try to discourage you with?

*end*

Replies

• nikesandbows
    nikesandbows Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I personally don't have parents who think that way. But I wanted to say you're doing amazing! It takes time and dedication to get above 100lbs on ANY of those =) I know hearing stuff from your own family really hits home and can be extremely discouraging. But just keep going! =)

• JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I have heard this from some people as well but it's easy enough to pull up videos of pregnant women to disprove the myth. I overheard an older guy telling a friend of mine that his aunt was picking up a heavy box and basically her uterus fell out. I fell over laughing and told him it just doesn't work that way.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    You are no "baby lifter" my friend! I remember hearing and believing people under 16 years old shouldn't lift. I totally disagree with this now...as long as they're properly trained
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    lol
    my parents are ok with my fitness program but others have "opinions" based on their "knowledge" and beliefs of old fitness myths.
    i just smile and nod and keep doing what i was doing
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    The only problems I ever heard of was women who did not listen to their doctors right after having a baby. You are actually probably strengthening muscles that can make pregnancy and child birth much easier. My grandmother and great aunt had tons of superstitions and old wives' tales. Just remember none of these are supported by any medical research.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    My mother believes that is you swim pregnant you'll loose the baby. I let her cry on the pool steps and continued what I was doing. My baby is just fine... It's about them not you. They have old/outdated/wrong conceptions about the world. They mean well, but they need to respect your boundaries and treat you like a thinking human being who can make your own decisions. Don't let them emotionally manipulate you. You keep it up. You're doing amazing!
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    @JenAndSome that is hilarious! My mom says something a long the same lines!! I'm like how in the world is something just going to fall out of me..and @Lizzy622 that is so true, many past generations did a lot of manual labor and lifting and it made them stronger overall, if anything I feel now that a sedentary lifestyle is what would hinder not help. I tryyyyy to convince them, but until I have a baby belly hanging in front of me while I do my lsquats my mom won't believe me. It's OK, I'll just keep keepin on!

and thank you very much @farfromthetree <3