Should i slow down my bulk?

Options
So i started working out 2 weeks ago at 133lbs. I am now 140lbs. My goal is to get to 170lbs. I have this app set to put on 1lb a week and i feel like i am gaining weight very fast. So my question is should i cut my bulk back to .5 pounds a week to minimize fat gain? Or should i keep piling on the weight since i have so far to go to get to 170lbs?

Replies

• mikeski52
    mikeski52 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    7 pounds gain doesn't sound like a lot for your first two weeks. A lot of that is just water weight.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    mikeski52 wrote: »
    7 pounds gain doesn't sound like a lot for your first two weeks. A lot of that is just water weight.

I agree...any new exercise regimen will cause the body to retain more water to aid in muscle repair, etc.

Assuming you've run the numbers to get an approximation of your ideal caloric intake, and you're not just eating all willy-nilly, I'd give it a few more weeks before I made any drastic changes. If you continue to put on weight this rapidly, then yes, some adjustments would seem to be in order. But it's too soon to tell for sure.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    So i started working out 2 weeks ago at 133lbs. I am now 140lbs. My goal is to get to 170lbs. I have this app set to put on 1lb a week and i feel like i am gaining weight very fast. So my question is should i cut my bulk back to .5 pounds a week to minimize fat gain? Or should i keep piling on the weight since i have so far to go to get to 170lbs?

are you trying to gain 30 pounds in one bulk?
  • itsflaccoi
    itsflaccoi Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You really need to slow it down your gaining alot of fat not muscle the a good weight gain per month is 2 pounds to stay lean well gaining manly muscle and your gaining 3x that in 2 weeks about 6 pounds of that weight is fat not muscle your body does not make that much muscle in 2 weeks
  • coreyhill_7
    coreyhill_7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

are you trying to gain 30 pounds in one bulk?

No. Im planning on doing multiple bulk/ cut cycles before i get there
  • goldingtom12
    goldingtom12 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You have to remember that the numbers this app puts your calories at isn't totally accurate. You could need more or less then what it's saying to consume. Just make little adjustments, be patient and consistent and I'm sure you will get to your goal
  • ndj1979
    Options
    itsflaccoi wrote: »
    You really need to slow it down your gaining alot of fat not muscle the a good weight gain per month is 2 pounds to stay lean well gaining manly muscle and your gaining 3x that in 2 weeks about 6 pounds of that weight is fat not muscle your body does not make that much muscle in 2 weeks

You failed to account for water weight in your analysis
  • zatotheck
    zatotheck Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Post up your training routine and diet.
    I went from 148lbs to about 180 in 6 months. I ate as much as I could as often I could and drank a half gallon of milk per day. This was a mistake. Or maybe it wasn't, it taught me a lot. In my opinion, the sooner you can get your nutrition in check the better. This means eating at a controlled caloric surplus to gain weight very slowly. This means paying attention to your macronutrient ratios. A good starting point would be 45% carbs 35% protein 20% fat.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    zatotheck wrote: »
    I went from 148lbs to about 180 in 6 months. I ate as much as I could as often I could and drank a half gallon of milk per day. This was a mistake. Or maybe it wasn't, it taught me a lot. In my opinion, the sooner you can get your nutrition in check the better. This means eating at a controlled caloric surplus to gain weight very slowly. This means paying attention to your macronutrient ratios. A good starting point would be 45% carbs 35% protein 20% fat.
    Those protein and fat ratios may not work for everyone. If I ate 35% protein even at maintenance, I'd be getting over 200g of protein. That works out to 1.75g/lb of bodyweight, which is certainly overkill.

• ndj1979
    Options
    zatotheck wrote: »
    Those protein and fat ratios may not work for everyone. If I ate 35% protein even at maintenance, I'd be getting over 200g of protein. That works out to 1.75g/lb of bodyweight, which is certainly overkill.

that is why that poster said "a good starting point"....

I prefer grams myself..so .65 to .85 grams of protein per pound of body weight; .45 grams of fat; and fill in rest with carbs