Starting C25K TODAY!

Options
summerdaze120
summerdaze120 Posts: 425 Member
edited December 2015 in Motivation and Support
Hey MFPals!

I plan on starting the C25K program today and wanted to see if anyone else is on board. If so, feel free to add me :smile: I have signed up for a 5K in mid-February and would love for my time to be 33 minutes or under!

Treadmill Version: http://www.c25k.com/c25k_treadmill.html

d4ab1bb8dc8cfac03d63463a5684e804.jpg

running-inspiration-have-only-today-let-us-begin.jpg

Replies

• SherwoodRachael
    SherwoodRachael Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I completed week 1 today - I have never been a runner, but have really enjoyed the first three runs. :)
  • Jacqui_Runs
    Jacqui_Runs Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I did the program, and loved it. Good luck!
  • saralizz123
    saralizz123 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I started yesterday! Goodluck!
  • Mrsrobinsoncl
    Mrsrobinsoncl Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Its a great program!! Good luck! I just finished week 6 of C210K, Ive done the couch to 5k before with great success.
  • ekruska802
    ekruska802 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Good luck! It's a good program. Stick to it and you should be able to make your goal!
  • MandiSaysHey
    MandiSaysHey Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I am very over weight and very out of shape. I started c25K about a week ago. Day 1 I wanted to give up on the first running interval, but I pushed through and managed to only walk about half of 2 of the running intervals. Day 2 I ran all of the running intervals but felt like I wanted to throw up afterwards. Today I finished day 3 and I felt good afterwards, I didn't really feel like I needed to give up at any point and I didn't feel like I overdid myself which was awesome. I can't wait to keep going. I'm hoping to sign up for some 5k races next year if I'm able to successfully finish c25k.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Oh dear, I attempted workout 2 of week 4 today for the second time and failed again. I feel it's a big jump from 90 seconds or 3 minute intervals of running to pushing to 5 minutes.

I plan to drop back and repeat week 3 (I missed a few days anyway as I was away) and reset. Anyone got any tips on how to push through to the next level?
  • Robo_mooh
    Robo_mooh Posts: 44 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I started on wednesday - day 2 today! feel free to add me :persevere:
  • summerdaze120
    Options
    Finished W1D2 yesterday with a total of 2 miles. Runs went really well, but started having shin pain in the left leg :/ Resting today and put ice on it. How is everyone else doing?
  • summerdaze120
    Options
    @girlinahat I think repeating week 3 sounds like a good idea. You could also try slowing down your pace?
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Oh dear, I attempted workout 2 of week 4 today for the second time and failed again. I feel it's a big jump from 90 seconds or 3 minute intervals of running to pushing to 5 minutes.

I plan to drop back and repeat week 3 (I missed a few days anyway as I was away) and reset. Anyone got any tips on how to push through to the next level?

I had to complete a couple of the weeks twice and also went back. It took me about 3 months to finish the program. Don't feel like you have to have go onto the next week if you're not ready.

Also, if you're looking for a little less structured program, try Zombies, Run 5k. It's also a walk/run training plan. Similar to C25K (with a zombie apocalypse themed story line). It has what they call "free form runs". Parts of the training you decide how much or how little to run.

Good luck. The program definitely works. I'm now jogging a 5k in 39 minutes, working on getting myself to about 35 minutes.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to start next week. I'm wondering how you decide if you should repeat a week. Do you do the week until you can do it without a problem, or do you just keep pushing forward? I'm really out of shape, but for the past month I've been building up my walking. Yesterday I managed my 7th day in a row of 5000 steps (and well on my way to meeting that today, too).
  • thebuz
    thebuz Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »

Rather than drop back a week in the program try running slower. You should focus on walking as quickly as you can on the walk intervals and run as slowly as you can on the run intervals. Over time by doing this your body doesn't differentiate between the two. Run slower and when you are struggling in a run interval slow down more even if it feels like you could walk faster. The speed will come later. I promise you that. Most failure in this program comes from people trying to run too fast. :-)
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Running slower might be the answer thanks. I'm currently on a treadmill with 3.8 miles an hour set at my walk speed and 5.8 my run speed. What do others run at? I mean, I know that's personal preference but just curious.

I'm not due for another attempt until Monday and with Christmas around the corner I'm expecting to have to repeat/slow down workouts as there will be too long a gap between them to push on. I'll try slowing it down next time until I figure out a speed that works.

Thanks.
  • summerdaze120
    Options
    I also do C25K on a treadmill. I walk at 3.5mph and run at 6.0 mph.
  • Robo_mooh
    Options
    I'm not sure what my numbers are, I shall have to have a look next time I run! I AM very slow though - I have asthma so I'm trying to run as quick as I can and still be able to breathe!

I'm sure my 'running' is more of a slow jog
  • Jenna8915
    Jenna8915 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    To anyone struggling with C25K on a treadmill, I strongly suggest running outside! I have already completed C25K once (managed to get to 8k non-stop at my best), and am now on Week 6 for the second time and can already run 5k. I have found that the motivation of actually seeing your progress as you move around your running route is a great motivator for continuing with the running intervals, even at the points when you really want to stop! It also lets you see how well you are progressing, and whether you are getting faster, as you get a little further each run.

Slowing running pace is a good idea in some ways - much better than having an unscheduled walk at least - but to run faster, you actually have to run faster! It sounds daft, but it is easier to train at the pace you aim to run at, than it is to increase your pace later on. I try to run at my best pace for as far as physically possible, then slow down slightly until I get my breath back, then speed back up to my target pace.

Ultimately, running is more of a mental challenge than it is a physical one. After about Week 4 of C25K, most people are physically capable of the running intervals, and it is the mental challenge that gets in your way - just push on through it!

And enjoy it - running is fun :smile:
  • Robo_mooh
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Great advice :) !!

It easier to run outdoors, but where I am at the minute it's dark and cold and I'd much prefer to run indoors!

5 years ago I did couch to 5k, and eventually ran a 10k (non stop! Took me 1hr 10 minutes) race for life - I know I can do it, I just need to get back to that level of fitness after letting myself go for so long. Even when I ran that 10k though I was not a fast runner!

Personally I'd rather manage the distance rather than the speed - I'll get there eventually!
  • eGrace777
    eGrace777 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the motivation. I purchased a C24K app for my phone months ago, but never used it. I'll start today - December 12!
  • summerdaze120
    Options
    @Jenna8915 I couldn't agree more that running is part mental!

I think the hardest part for me is deciding if I want distance or speed; I picked speed so it may take me a little longer to reach the distance.

@elisabethgracenolan awesome! That's all it takes, just starting.

I am completing week 1 day 3 today!